Rebuilding my Hyper-V lab... Which SSD to choose?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Hello,

I have a spare R720 with a H710p & 64GB of RAM, that I want to use with Hyper-V.

It will be mostly Windows Server VMs, about ~8 VMs. Since it will be a small lab, I don't think I will hammer IOPS so much. I'll need at least 400GB I assume (800 would be best, but I want to keep cost low...). It's harder for me to estimate the endurance I need.

Since SSD price are dropping fast (at least the consumer one), I am a bit torn between:

- a new 970 EVO 500GB w/ a PCIE adapter (+warranty, -endurance, only 300TBW on 5 years)
- one or two used SATA like the dell s3610
- one or two used SAS like the HGST HUSMM (my R720 is only 6gbps, but it should be backward compatible) or HUSLL (but they start to be a bit old?)

My budget is around ~$150. I don't care so much about power consumption or temperature.

If buying used, I would prefer buying 2 disks just to have some fallback (I do not care about the data or uptime, but if one disk dies after the return period, I can still run with half of the capacity - not sure if I am clear)

In the past I have good luck buying used S3500, but I use them as boot drive, so I do not write a lot on them, so I was initially looking at S3610/S3700.

The 970 EVO is tempting for warranty and perf, but I don't know how far I will be able to go with 300TBW.

But then I looked at the HGST ssds, that seems to have blazing performance, for the same price more or less than used S3610. Probably super overkill for my need... I have some SAS HBA available, so I could reuse these drive in my workstation in the futur if needed.

Right now I am more inclined to buy some used HGST SSD, they seems to be around ~$120 for 400GB, but with my budget I will not be able to buy two of them right now.

Thoughts?

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I would personally go for a used enterprise drive over a new consumer drive. If you check the deals section regularly someone is bound to find a screaming deal on something that would work great for you. Good luck!

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Thanks! I think I will wait for a deal on some HGST SSD, even if I will have to do with only one for the moment :)

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Thanks @Jeggs101 I just saw it. I also saw a couple of SanDisk CloudSpeed eco 960GB, but no clear data on the wear... ~150GB more, and twice the endurance...

I have to decide now, otherwise I know I will miss the deals :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I also saw a couple of SanDisk CloudSpeed eco 960GB, but no clear data on the wear... ~150GB more, and twice the endurance..
Patrick written a article about STH site SSD usage, the pattern is 0.1 DPWD per day.

In the end, SSD endurance does not matter whole lot for homelab usage.

Buy the cheapest Enterprise SSD. $$ per GB
This morning, I BO a Cloudspeed 100E 960gb SSD for $90 before 10% coupon.
I would be just happy if it is a normal Cloudspeed 100 960gb , even the 100E is rated 3-7 DWPD.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Ended up buying the 800GB S3500, since I already had a positive experience with this seller. Maybe I should have gone with the eco...

You are probably right, for a homelab endurance shouldn't be a concern

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Not to keep beating a dead horse.

I found Patrick's article
https://www.servethehome.com/used-enterprise-ssds-dissecting-our-production-ssd-population/

Used enterprise SSDs: Dissecting our production SSD population

"When we converted our actual TBW to actual DWPD for the 234 drive subset we saw that the majority of drives we had in the population we below 0.1 DWPD."

"Key takeaway: You are likely putting too much emphasis on write endurance and write performance in evaluating storage needs."

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
... ended up snagging a sandisk cloudspeed eco 960GB for $99. And will try to cancel the S3500. If it doesn't work... I'll have to tell the kid that from now we only eat pasta :)

Hope I will not regret it!

Reactions: Marsh