Real-world NVMe performance gains: STH Web Hosting Case Study

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Nice set of tests with a realistic set of servers. It's often hard to know how benchmarks with perfect hardware relate to actual performance on the box. Although it's pretty clear that blazingly fast disk is good for i/o. I will not be surprised if NVME sells well on the retail desktop while there are only a small number of use case that will result in any meaningful improvement. On the other hand an enterprise ssd would last in a retail box for a very very very long time.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
That might be the most real world quantification of NVMe performance improvement that I have ever seen. Even showing synthetic database workloads on a random benchmark database is less useful.

Can we download a copy of the wordpress VM to use ourselves?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks all - shares always appreciated :) That one took a LONG time to put together and is one of two I am really excited about in the next two weeks.

@Jeggs101 - this was done with basically a slightly modified production VM. I frankly would not feel comfortable for a stack of reasons giving out the entire VM including site and database.

I do see the need for something like this and really want to make a mature WordPress VM for testing purposes, but that is a bit hard. Simulating that much content, thousands upon thousands of comments and millions of spam comments is quite difficult.

There is also another real-world article in the pipeline although much less exciting.

Reactions: gigatexal