Re: Wire to the SAS controller?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
May be a silly question but you never learn unless you ask. So I am using a 721TQ-250 Supermicro chassis with a couple of SAS drives. The backplane supports SAS drives, so I am good there. My question is do I need to wire the SAS drive up directly to the controller just to see it/confirm it is working? When wired to the on-board controller on the board I don't see the drive in the BIOS, but I do see a SATA drive in there if I swap the drives out. My experience is limited in dealing with SAS drives and trying to use on-board controllers. Perhaps this is why. :)

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
SATA controllers do not support SAS, so you will need to wire them up to some sort of SAS HBA, be it integrated to the motherboard or an add-in card. I'm guessing you also don't have a SAS HBA integrated since few ITX boards do, but if you in fact do, generally you'll need to go into the controllers' BIOS to pass through the drives if it isn't flashed for IT mode. You would also see them there.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not only do most mini-it’d boards not have SAS they also only have a single PCIe slot.