Ram combinations for Supermicro H12SSL

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jsprigg

Nov 20, 2023
Hello All,

I just picked up a Supermicro H12SSL-I along with a 7B13 (64c/128t) processor and 4x 64GB memory sticks.
Hindsight being 20-20 I probably should have instead purchased 8x 32GB memory sticks.

Is anyone running 4x 64GB memory sticks on this board with a > 32 core processor? The manual only seems to recommend 32 cores or lower for the 4x ram stick configuration.

Much appreciated.

- Jeff

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
it works but the memory bandwidth is lower.
on some workloads this may not effect performance much.

Reactions: jsprigg

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
CPU populates all sticks equally with data as if it was raid0.
You are currently getting half the throughput (GB/s) you could get from ram speed.
(Instead of max of 204.8 GB/s you are getting 102GB/s) -- depending on your ram stick speed (this is for 3200MHz sticks)

To notice this loss, you would need to have a lot of simultaneous (r/w/s) activity on your ram.
(i.e. few k/vms, maybe sql and such with queries against it -- so it can push the throughput.)

Lower/Higher latency of ram will be more readily felt vs total throughput.

Reactions: jsprigg

jsprigg

Nov 20, 2023
CPU populates all sticks equally with data as if it was raid0.
You are currently getting half the throughput (GB/s) you could get from ram speed.
(Instead of max of 204.8 GB/s you are getting 102GB/s) -- depending on your ram stick speed (this is for 3200MHz sticks)

To notice this loss, you would need to have a lot of simultaneous (r/w/s) activity on your ram.
(i.e. few k/vms, maybe sql and such with queries against it -- so it can push the throughput.)

Lower/Higher latency of ram will be more readily felt vs total throughput.
Much appreciated. I figured this would be the case - was only worried that it wouldn't boot.
So far so good with the RAM.

- Jeff