Ram and Brands

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
16.7$ is on the high-end for 4GB RDIMM sticks, but not out of ordinary. I try to stay at $12/avg for 4GB RDIMM, which I've found to be easy to do on ebay you just have to watch it closely for a couple days. If you only need 6 sticks it's not a ton of money saving but it is some :)

Nick_12

May 13, 2015
Ok thanks for your input. Ill just have to keep an eye out. I always forget I work in a data center. I just need to ask my supervisor if we have an laying around lol. Does it matter what brand the RAM is?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I'm not sure if "BRAND" matters at all to be honest, it's more of the specs of the RAM in my opinion. I've used memory not on the approved list with no problem, and OEM RAM with no problem. There is a ton of rebranding by OEMs so a lot of RAM will work, its just figuring it out or testing it.

I'm not sure if it matters as much with the tripple channel but single, dual and quad ranked DIMMS are important depending how many slots you're using and how many channels there are if you want to use to capacity.

Nick_12

May 13, 2015
Ok. So are the DIMMs double or tripple or quad channel or does the board decide that? I'm just afraid to buy a decent amount of RAM where the specs are the same as needed, but since its a HP not SuperMicro it not work. This is my first full server build so I'm new to the ECC RAM and all that jazz.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The RAM is either single, dual or quad rank.

The CPU/motherboard will be dual or triple channel depending on the generation, and then quad channel for higher-end I've seen.

The motherboard should tell you how many "ranks" you can have per channel. IE: Some SM boards allow 8 total, so if you have 4 slots and you use 4x Dual Rank = capacity, but if you use 2x Quad Rank = capacity. Some of the HP ram I've purchased in 8gb sticks is single rank, so it just depends which server it came out of --- google the part# to get the "ful specifications". I have HP RAM in a # of my SM boards, same with Samsung, Kingston, Micron, and Hynix.

I recently made the mistake of forgetting to check, and ended up with a ton of 4gb quad rank :) Luckily at $12/stick it's not too huge of a mess for me.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The channels will have to do with the motherboard and CPU chose you choose.
The ram would need to populate all 3 channels.

Nick_12

May 13, 2015
OK. But if I have 3 sticks of RAM in the slots then its safe to assume theyre running in tripple channel?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
No. Your motherboard and CPU need to support it, and you need more than 3 sticks of RAM.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What motherboard / cpu do you plan to run? That would help a lot :) as we could make direct suggestions based on the cpu/board.