RAID and AF disk performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sp2001

Mar 1, 2019
Hello everybody just join and discovered this site, I've a question that I'm really get solved, I've on different server RAID controller of different brands, IBM, adptec, LSI.

Since a while when disk die we are replacing with new disk based on AF format, mostly 512e format. Some of the controller get fully populated with such kind of disks. What we see is a general decrease of performance. While on HBA with proper partition allignement we don't get issue with RAID card we're having a serious doubt that if the RAID controller doesn't properly allign with the HDD "real" 4k format we will have performace issue due to write/update overlapping multiple sector. I've not seen on any of those card any option to verify the allignement and I'm not sure where the controller store information like the RAID composition on the disk. If this is done at the beginning of the disk I'm start thinking this will create a misallignement.

Have anyone verified this ?

tnx in advance

SP