Raid 10 storage spaces vs hw controller

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by djeyewater, Oct 23, 2019.

1. djeyewater

djeyewater New Member

2. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

backup... use some sort of backup.

with the LSI 9267 you will be able to use raid 5 and gain 5 TB of space. (10 TB -> 15 TB). or raid 6 and get the same coverage without needing to worry about which 2 disks failed.

personally I still like Storage Spaces. but I like the benefit HW raid a bit more.

Chris

3. ReturnedSword

ReturnedSword Active Member

The cons of Storage Spaces I've read of in the past mostly concern running some sort of parity mode in your Storage Space. For Mirrors or Striped Mirrors it works fine, and at near drive speed for me. I agree with @cesmith9999 though, I'd only place the photos on your Storage Space for easy access, and keep a separate backup elsewhere. Even cold storage on an external drive will help.

4. djeyewater

djeyewater New Member

Thanks for the suggestions / info. I have a couple of 10Tb drives I'll be rotating daily for off-site backups.