Raid 1 HDD Migration to SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
Currently, in one of my c6100 nodes I have the hypervisor (Windows Server 2012 R2) running on an SSD, and a separate raid 1 array of 2 1TB WD Red drives for VM storage. I'm noticing some performance issues with the VMs and want to replace the raid 1 array with 2 1 TB Samsung EVO 1TB SSDs.

What is the best methodology to accomplish this?

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
Windows backup is a very good option
I am worried about having hyper-v see the VMs after the new drives are in place. I have a usb HDD attached to the nodes. Could I copy off the virtual HDD and config folders and replace them?

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
I would simple enable windows backup, then backup vm volume drive to USB drive. Then restore the entire volume from USB to ssd.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
I would simple enable windows backup, then backup vm volume drive to USB drive. Then restore the entire volume from USB to ssd.
Will hyper v manager see the backup and vms as nothing occurred, or will I have to recreate each VM, and attach the vhdx?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've had no problem using drives that were in RAID1 alone onboard, on another controller, etc... I doubt the hypervisor is going to notice. I've also had ESXI on raid1 and moved it to onboard and only 1 of the 2 drives as well.

Is the RAID1 something windows made or on a controller? Sorry if I missed that.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
I've had no problem using drives that were in RAID1 alone onboard, on another controller, etc... I doubt the hypervisor is going to notice. I've also had ESXI on raid1 and moved it to onboard and only 1 of the 2 drives as well.

Is the RAID1 something windows made or on a controller? Sorry if I missed that.

The raid1 was setup using the onboard controller. It's one of my c6100 nodes, and is used only for local VM storage on that node. I want to swap out the spinning drives for SSDs in raid 1.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Will hyper v manager see the backup and vms as nothing occurred, or will I have to recreate each VM, and attach the vhdx?
As long as you back up the volume and restore the volume with the same drive letter. It will be fine