Rackspace and Dell EMC Offer Managed Private OpenStack Cloud

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
When I talked to RackSpace years ago they offered Private Cloud how is this any different or new today? (Serious question not razzzing ya)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
It's on dell hardware instead of something else ?
I also don't understand this, openstack private clouds have been offered by a number of vendors for rather a while now, I know IBM/Softlayed used to have an offering for openstack on private.

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
This kind of stuff rubs me this wrong way. Company A (in this case Rackspace whom I respect) says "we have this knowledge and we know some C-suite dufus wants one throat to choke so we'll give them an offering that is not in their best interest but that they'll agree to because somehow it's better to outsource business knowledge than invest in our own opex."

/EndRant

Seriously, I love this idea. If you're already with Rackspace, you can get 100% commodity WAN links, use commodity Dell x86 at the edge and have an end-to-end solution. No MPLS, no networking department, no fat fingered rookie taking down the northwest. The above rant still applies for a variety of reasons. Just remember, handing business use cases to someone who is not in your business is generally a dumb idea.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
Maybe nothing revolutionary, but with DFS essentially converting CapEx infrastructure to OpEx it is a step in lowering the barriers to entry.

There are many non-technical business owners out there that don't want to hire their own staff because they can't find enough locally.

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
I read a different announcement and it specifically is Dell EMC compute and storage offerings ( Rackspace and Dell EMC Partner to Make Private Cloud Easier to Use ) which is a considerably less exciting offering. I do wish they could at least tease is with the kind of use case they are thinking might be a possibility. There isn't even so much as a "talk to your rep to see how this might bring you value."

I could see a hybrid use case especially since they list rackspace, data center, and third party providers as possible locations. This still goes back to the bee in my bonnet. Last time I specc'd a server with Dell they said three weeks till validation and delivery. One of the key value propositions of OpenStack is the use of off-the-shelf hardware. Let's roll with it for a bit...

Let's say I have hosting and traffic in Asia, Americas, and Europe and I want secondary storage on prem in the US and compute in my colo in US. I can definitely see value there. Between Rackspace, Dell, and me, I still think Dell is getting the better part of the deal.