Rackmounting a server chassis with sliding rails

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ungovernable

Jan 8, 2017
I just built my first home rackmount using Tripp Lite 9U Wall Mount Rack Enclosure SRW9U

After installing router, switche, ups and surge protector, i want to add a NAS

So i got the chassis iStarUSA D-3100HN 3U

However right now i'm very confused how to install the server inside the rackmount enclosure.

First, the enclosure doesn't have vertical rails on the BACK of the unit, just on the front !
Also, the iStarUSA came WITHOUT rails and handles even if it was shown on the amazon image. Manufacturer refused to supply replacement parts.

I tried buying rails on ebay but i didn't even realise it wasn't sliding rails. I still tried to install it on the enclosure but it won't fit ! Adjustable Rack Mount Server Shelf Shelves Rail Rails 1U | eBay
I also tried to buy additional vertical rails to put on the back of the unit but again i wasted by money because it doesn't fit

- Where can i buy vertical rails to put on the back of the Tripp Lite SRW9U enclosure ?
- Where can i buy sliding rails compatible with iStarUSA D-3100HN 3U ?
- Can i buy replacement handles somewhere ?

Thanks !

ungovernable

Jan 8, 2017
Thanks for the links !
On the website it says something about rear posts, can i use these rails even if my enclosure doesn't have back vertical rails ?
And also, is there any other option in black color ?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Oh. I didn't read your post correctly.

That rack you have only supports a depth of 16.5in so your NAS enclosure won't fit in it, and you need rear posts to mount such a server. Supporting it from the front alone won't be sufficient.

So your networking equipment can stay in there, but you need something else for your NAS, if you intend to use/keep the chassis you purchased.

Last edited:

aero

Apr 27, 2016
That rack is really intended for patch panels and network gear. Maybe some AV gear too. It's very short depth, 16.5 inches. And max load is only 200lbs.

Furthermore, no, you cannot mount server rails without the rear rack post.

The istar chassis is over 20 inches deep. .....

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Your chassis is 20.43 inches deep, and that cabinet can accommodate 20.5 inches. It would be impossible to plug cables into the back of your istar...not enough room.

It also doesn't clearly state if it has rear vertical rails.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
That first link might still be too short. The 24" depth looks to be an external measurement since the width is 24". Ideally any product you buy should list maximum mounting depth so you know for sure. The StarTech rack does for example. Also the first rack doesn't have any rear ventilation so if the rear of the case is too close to the back you'll find airflow to the top exhaust fans might suffer.

Not sure where you're from, but if it's a major city with Craigslist you'll likely see racks pop up on a regular basis. Half sized and smaller racks are less common but still show up at good prices. If you end up compromising on things like the dimensions of your rack you'll end up hating it and in a few months you'll be in the same position you are now with another rack you have to get rid of.

ungovernable

Jan 8, 2017
If you end up compromising on things like the dimensions of your rack you'll end up hating it and in a few months you'll be in the same position you are now with another rack you have to get rid of.
Yeah i think you make a good point here. The initial plan was to have a low-profile rack that i could hide under a desk (so maximum 10U limit) because currently it's in the living room and it's the only place i can put it... At first i didn't want overkill size but i started to regret it when i added new projects after realising all of the possibilities so i added a JBOD NAS. So now i'm not even sure if i should still go with a small rackmount or take something bigger to future-proof for more projects.

Current usage will be:
- 3U NAS
- 1U power strip
- 1U Switch
- 4U shelf for Drobo NAS, modem and router

But having a bigger size gives more possibilities :
- UPS (i'm currently using an old non-rackmountable CyberPower UPS so it's just sitting vertically in the back of the unit)
- Another 3U NAS to replace 2x ReadyNAS (not sure about this but maybe in the future if i have extra hardware)
- Drawer or another shelf

so i may consider a full-size rackmount cabinet if i find something nice (all black cabinet) but i could live with a 10U under the desk

How important is noise isolation? How loud is your chassis and do you need this rack/enclosure to silence equipment at all?
It's really important, i would really like to have a rack with noise isolation but the models are rare so i gave up about this and decided to silence the NAS instead. The rackmount will have only 1 server for now and the system is a very low heat JBOD NAS that isn't on 24/7... I already have a fanless PSU and totally silent 140mm cpu fan, but of course the HDD fans are noisy as hell even on lowest speed.

I'm also wondering if i need HDD fans at all on a low-usage JBOD setup ? No RAID and most HDD are WD Green.... Even if i convert it to RAID server later, i would just use it as a medias HDD so no high usage and even if it's on 24/7 it would almost never be writing data to the HDD ... Can I try disabling the fans of the hdd cages or it would be too risky for the drives ? Ambient temp is reasonnable

I'm from a small city in Quebec, buying used isn't an option unfortunately, nearest big city is very far away. I'm shopping on Amazon.ca, pc-canada, ncix, newegg, directcanada and the likes.