Rack Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
I am moving soon and need to redo my rack setup. I currently have a 24U Skeletek open Rack that I need to downsize from. I am looking for a 12U Rack enclosure that I can use which will meet requirements. I would like to stuff this in a closet or my bedroom out of sight. My research up until now hasnt helped

It will be housing
4RU Chenbro RM41300-F (HTPC/NAS Server )Dimensions (H x W x D) 21.5" x 16.9" x 6.9"
3x 1RU 3750 Cisco Switches
1x 1RU 3650 Cisco Switches
1x 1RU or 2RU ESXI Server Lab (Haven't bought the case yet )
1x 1RU APC Managed PDU
1x 1RU Serial Console Switch

Questions
Should I go bigger than 12RU since that is pushing the max ?
What glass enclosures with caster wheel options do I have to choose from ?
Will the Chenbro case be a problem since its the biggest of all devices ?
Are there any decent combo Managed PDU and Serial Console Switches around ?
Any good 1RU or 2RU rack mounted cases that can house a full ATX motherboard ?

Any and all help is most appreciated thanx

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
Damn looks like great. Would be a wonderful addition. Dat price tho.....not for me will try and scour Ebay

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
if you need long-depth (for regular server case) nice non-open frame rack, this is hard to get cheap!

I was looking in years (ebay and local craiglist) for 12-15U and Nada with a good price ( < 300(open frame)-500( non open frame))
Server-Racks | StarTech.com <-- was my initial through frustation....

search on craiglist for 12-15U. this is the best to get lower price by assuming that you are living in big city..

-------------------------------------------------------
I finally made my own solution this year to build my own closed rack 13U is usable to be pack-in.
the total is not very costly:D. this is based on 15U open-frame rack that got bought for $190 total.
the exterior is Ikea Kitchen modular cabinet :D.
upload_2015-12-17_19-0-27.png

upload_2015-12-17_19-1-31.png

upload_2015-12-17_19-2-22.png

Reactions: Remy

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
Thanks,

I guess you feel my pain. A quick search thru craiglist didnt pull up anything good. Will keep on the hunt. Worst case if I cant find anything before I move I will just have it sit open ontop of my desk. I will not be moving the beastly 24U skeletek rack to my new spot. It is an eyesore to say the least.

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
1st option wont work because it is not deep enough. The second option Navepoint looks like it will work. Measured the case myself and it is 21 1/2 or 23" with the handles protruding out. Will need to look into this more.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
1st option wont work because it is not deep enough. The second option Navepoint looks like it will work. Measured the case myself and it is 21 1/2 or 23" with the handles protruding out. Will need to look into this more.
navi is not going to work, since the depth is < 24" :p
navi measurement is outer depth 24"
you neeed inner depth measurement..

welcome to the world of finding nice server rack without breaking much $$$$ :D

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
navi is not going to work, since the depth is < 24" :p
navi measurement is outer depth 24"
you neeed inner depth measurement..

welcome to the world of finding nice server rack without breaking much $$$$ :D

Thanks, Didnt catch on to that until looking at measurements closely. How about this rack

Kendall Howard ® - 12U Compact SOHO Server Cabinet - No Doors #1932-3-201-12

Inner depth is 28" I believe. Here is a site that lists the internal dimensions
Kendall Howard 1932-3-201-12 - 12U Compact SOHO Server Cabinet - No Doors

I chose the no door option because I can find it alot cheaper than with doors.......
Hopefully I can cry to the manufacturer to see if they can sell me doors lol

Last edited:

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
Just need a confirmation from you guys. BTW you guys have been great and pointed me in the right direction thnx. Long hours and no help from other forums make me goooo craaazy lol

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks, Didnt catch on to that until looking at measurements closely. How about this rack

Kendall Howard ® - 12U Compact SOHO Server Cabinet - No Doors #1932-3-201-12

Inner depth is 28" I believe. Here is a site that lists the internal dimensions
Kendall Howard 1932-3-201-12 - 12U Compact SOHO Server Cabinet - No Doors

I chose the no door option because I can find it alot cheaper than with doors.......
Hopefully I can cry to the manufacturer to see if they can sell me doors lol
yap
  • Rails are adjustable from 3" to 28" deep

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
Effing fantastic. You don't know how many wasted hours searching for this crap lol
Thanks to all and Happy Holidays !

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
Forgot about Round 2 ...Shipment thru Freight... ARGGGH
Will take advantage of shipment thru my job since its under 150+ lbs I should be able to get a good discount.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Wow! Those are $$$

I paid $350 for my full-rack APC Netshelter... then again Sacramento and surrounding has way more racks ;) than we need around here...

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Wow! Those are $$$

I paid $350 for my full-rack APC Netshelter... then again Sacramento and surrounding has way more racks ;) than we need around here...
I looked locally, but couldn't find anything appropriate for my needs. I have a SuperMicro Twin 1U that is 705mm deep. The only local rack I found that came close to what I want was not deep enough to accommodate that server. I did find a bunch of broken down 42U racks that are missing side panels - no bueno. Either the farmers in the Central Valley don't need server racks, or they are shipping them to the bay area along with their produce where they can fetch better prices.

:)

Reactions: T_Minus