R640 memory config

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get the memory in my R640 to be as high as possible, but keep getting an "Mixed DIMMS's" error

I have
16x16GB - 2133 == 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10-DC0
6 x 32GB - 2133 == 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P-LD0-10-DC0
2 x 32GB - 2666 == 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12

I tried to put in the 32GB (2133 + 2666) but that gave the error - so I guess the 2666 goes out the window

then I tried to populate
A1, A2, A3 and B1, B2, B3 slots with 32GB/2133
A4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11 and B4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11 with 16GB/2133

but it did not like that either..

any ideas on what should work?

according to the manual

• All DIMMs must be DDR4.
  • RDIMMs and LRDIMMs must not be mixed.
  • NVDIMMs and LRDIMMs must not be mixed.
  • NVDIMMs and RDIMMs can be mixed.
  • 64 GB LRDIMMs that are DDP (Dual Die Package) LRDIMMs must not be mixed with 128 GB LRDIMMs that are TSV (Through Silicon Via/3DS) LRDIMMs.
  • x4 and x8 DRAM based memory modules can be mixed.
  • Up to two RDIMMs can be populated per channel regardless of rank count.
  • Up to two LRDIMMs can be populated per channel regardless of rank count.
  • A maximum of two different ranked DIMMs can be populated in a channel regardless of rank count.
  • If memory modules with different speeds are installed, they will operate at the speed of the slowest installed memory module(s).
  • Populate memory module sockets only if a processor is installed.
    • For single-processor systems, sockets A1 to A12 are available.
    • For dual-processor systems, sockets A1 to A12 and sockets B1 to B12 are available.
  • Populate all the sockets with white release tabs first, followed by the black release tabs.
  • When mixing memory modules with different capacities, populate the sockets with memory modules with the highest capacity first.
    NOTE:For example, if you want to mix 8 GB and 16 GB memory modules, populate 16 GB memory modules in the sockets with white release tabs and 8 GB memory modules in the sockets with black release tabs.
  • Memory modules of different capacities can be mixed provided other memory population rules are followed.
NOTE:For example, 8 GB and 16 GB memory modules can be mixed.
  • In a dual-processor configuration, the memory configuration for each processor must be identical.
    NOTE:For example, if you populate socket A1 for processor 1, then populate socket B1 for processor 2, and so on.
  • Mixing of more than two memory module capacities in one system is not supported.
  • Unbalanced memory configurations will result in a performance loss so always populate memory channels identically with identical DIMMs for best performance.
  • Populate six identical memory modules per processor (one DIMM per channel) at a time to maximize performance.

Last edited: