Quiet switch w/10Gb uplink (PoE a plus)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
I actually have this switch and turned it off last weekend to migrate to another switch (more ports).
Mine is a EU model so if you're in the US that might be an issue power wise (I don't know if it has a switch PSU). Haven't put it up for sale yet.
I suspect it probably has a global power supply, but my guess is that you will probably want to sell it for more than I'm willing to pay. However, given it's rather unique feature set I'm sure you'll find a buyer without too much problem - good luck!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Well, we've seen a few mentioned in this thread that seem to fall into this category. The cover story over the weekend even highlighted several options from Cisco. While it may be internal optimist speaking, I'm hopeful we'll see a few more suggestions in this thread too :)

I actually just decommissioned a X1052 that has served me well for several years. Nothing wrong with it other than it only had four SFP+ ports and that was too few to satisfy my 10Gb "itch". I plan on using it to test drive the Mikrotik S+RJ10 that should be arriving this week (assuming it works with the Dell), and perhaps using it as a backup/test switch in the future.

I did briefly try it out in my office, but even idling with no ports active it was too loud. I may experiment with a fan swap, but I would prefer to find a stock switch that is quiet by design if possible. Also, depending on how the S+RJ10 testing goes, I may need to find a switch that supports 10GBASE-T natively.

If you thought the X1052 was too loud, how are any of the Cisco options any better? I love Cisco switches but I've never heard a quiet one other than the fanless options.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
If you thought the X1052 was too loud, how are any of the Cisco options any better? I love Cisco switches but I've never heard a quiet one other than the fanless options.
The C3560CX-8XPD-S mentioned earlier in this thread, and the Catalyst 2960-L model line from the weekend's cover story are all fanless Cisco switches with 10Gb ports.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The C3560CX-8XPD-S mentioned earlier in this thread, and the Catalyst 2960-L model line from the weekend's cover story are all fanless Cisco switches with 10Gb ports.
Oh nice, hadn't seen that. However, based on the switches you mentioned in your original post, I didn't think you were considering $3k switches.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
When I bought my C3560CX-8XPD-S it was close to 1500 Euro iirc.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
When I bought my C3560CX-8XPD-S it was close to 1500 Euro iirc.
Sounds about right, somewhere between $1000-$1500 USD with the appropriate discounts. The lesser versions are available around the 600-700 range.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
I bought it privately through a company my then job bought server and parts from.
No discount for me. Also no support contract :)
At least I can download firmware updates.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
At least I can download firmware updates.
That's a big win. Especially for those of us who pick up older, off-lease enterprise equipment for use at home. Unfortunately I've had to pass on several nice pieces of hardware simply because the firmware wasn't available outside of a support contract.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
You may consider this one: 24-Port 10/100/1000BASE-T Stackable Network Switch w/ 4 10GbE | FS.COM

$369 with 24 10/100/1000Base-T ports and 4 10G SFP+ uplinks. A Managed switch that supports switch-stacking.
Interesting, although based on the pictures and the video there are two fans in the rear of the unit and I don't see a noise rating anywhere in the specifications. Do you have one of these switches, what is the noise like? Any measurements from your phone?

Also, how long has FS.com been selling their own brand of switches (maybe rebranded generic switches?)? I ask because I'm concerned about firmware support, and if there isn't much history with these products it is hard to justify these switches over other, more established, vendors/products.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
That's a big win. Especially for those of us who pick up older, off-lease enterprise equipment for use at home. Unfortunately I've had to pass on several nice pieces of hardware simply because the firmware wasn't available outside of a support contract.
Actually I meant I don't have a support contract, but still am able to download firmware updates.
Just need an account on the Cisco website.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Actually I meant I don't have a support contract, but still am able to download firmware updates.
Just need an account on the Cisco website.
Ah, good to know. I'll admit to never trying to get past the login pages, I had always assumed (incorrectly it seems) that a support contract was needed.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the Cisco pricing issue, but it's still good info regardless - thanks!

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Ah, good to know. I'll admit to never trying to get past the login pages, I had always assumed (incorrectly it seems) that a support contract was needed.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the Cisco pricing issue, but it's still good info regardless - thanks!
:) I know. Just wanted to make it clear.

aero

Apr 27, 2016

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I access to downloads on the Cisco portal is typically based on current support contracts linked to your login.
However, some lines of products appear to be "open" to anyone; not all products, so beware.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I access to downloads on the Cisco portal is typically based on current support contracts linked to your login.
However, some lines of products appear to be "open" to anyone; not all products, so beware.
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately that is both confusing and disappointing. Any idea which products, or product lines, are "open"? Or, do you know if Cisco has an official policy when it comes to firmware update availability?

I suppose it is just good practice to always verify that you have access to firmware updates before picking up a piece of hardware (assuming that is important to you).

weust

Aug 15, 2014
From what I rember at a previous job, when we ordered Cisco Enterprise stuff (not saying it's limited to the Enterprise line) it was mandatory to also purchase the support contract.
So a core router costing 8K (or whatever) would also need a 1.6K support contract, making it a totall of 9.6K.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
From what I rember at a previous job, when we ordered Cisco Enterprise stuff (not saying it's limited to the Enterprise line) it was mandatory to also purchase the support contract.
So a core router costing 8K (or whatever) would also need a 1.6K support contract, making it a totall of 9.6K.
That makes sense, and having worked on the other side of this I can understand the reasoning for requiring a support contract. However, I think it is worth noting that firmware updates and support contracts need not be the same thing; even if they sometimes happen to be linked.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Which is why for home I went for an older Dell server instead of HPE.
Need a support contract with them even for drivers.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
For the sake of posterity, or rather future Google hits, I thought it might be good to provide a quick summary.

In the end I picked up a couple of Dell 5524 switches rather cheap and swapped the fans[1] out for something slightly quieter. Due mostly to a 20% eBay sale, the total cost for the switch and fans was less than a Mikrotik CRS326. The 5524 also has the benefit of an internal power supply and the management UI is similar to other Dell switches. Both are "wins" for me, although I do admit they are subjective.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Mikrotik S+RJ10 works just fine in the Dell 5524, although it does run warmer than in the Dell X1052 I used as an initial S+RJ10 experiment. While the exposed portion of the S+RJ10 ran roughly at ambient+10F in the X1052, it seems to run ambient+(15~20)F in the 5524; this is with the replacement fans running constantly. Looking inside the switch, I'm going to guess that this is due to packaging issues; there is much more free air around the SFP+ ports in the X1052 than there is in the 5524. I haven't noticed any failures or abnormally high error counts over the past week so it appears relatively stable. Time will tell, especially as we head into the warmer parts of the year.

If anyone has any questions about this combination, or the Dell 5524 fan swap, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

[1] I used Sunon MagLev fans, model KDE1204PKV3.MS.AR.GN; they are rated at 6.3CFM and 18dbA and provide a locked rotor signal (no fan faults in the Dell firmware). You will need to extend the fan wires and reorder the header pins, at most it's a ten minute job from cover off, to cover on.

Reactions: Evan