Quiet, cheap, reliable servers - what do you suggest?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
The one i got was a reverse breakout cable. SATA connectors from MB to SAS connector on backplane.
Ok, well. I guess I just wasted $20. It says on packackage "SAS to SATA" so I didn't even try it and ordered reverse cables... Will try it again because I have 4 of them.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Speaking of backups and how to make "replica" of the system (reason why I got 2) ..

This feature of Hyper-V is exactly what I was looking for.
Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Replica … In Detail | Aidan Finn, IT Pro

Since we run everything in VMs on Hyper-V - it can be like second backup, but up to 5 minutes which is great for a small office.
Not sure why I needed 2 servers :) I can keep old server as "replica"..
You can do from 30 seconds to 15 min and keep multiple checkpoints to roll back to as well. It is what we do, we still have a backup server for anything more than a day but it provides quick recovery in the event of hardware issues.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Yes, that's great. I will definitely use that. And backups - yes, we still have them. We actually do 3 backups :) Nightly offsite. Daily into second internal drive, daily into external USB drive.