questions on first build attempt

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rorschach500

Jan 14, 2022
Hi

I am thinking about attempting to build and setup my first home server. I have done multiple PC builds in the past so have plenty of hardware experience but have never attempted a server setup.

My current purposes for the server include:
File server/media storage
Backup with redundancy
Ability to create and use VMs

However, I want flexibility for expansion in the future as my son is a gamer and may want a web server/gaming server

My options include to buy all new equipment, and if so what would people recommend? I also have an old PC build with an AMD FX8370, 32GB DDR4 and GTX 1080 I could use and just get new HDD with more storage. My current ethernet is 100Mbs with ability to inc to 400Mbs if necessary

Also what OS is recommended? windows server is expensive. I have very limited Linux experience but was considering Ubuntu

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
How much media? 10+ TB? 100+ TB?
What do you mean with "backup with redundancy"?
Should it be open source or is "freeware" (esxi) okay ?
Noise requirements?
PC/Desktop or rackmount?

rorschach500

Jan 14, 2022
I think right now 8-10TB would be enough, it's mostly files/photos, a few videos but not full length movie type. I had planned on doing a RAID 1 setup and also a separate PC backup. Rather not do a rackmount. Noise isn't a huge issue unless its jet engine level. I have a little experience with VMware but not a lot.

discoeels

May 8, 2013
If I may make a suggestion, based on mistakes made with past hardware purchases, I would first focus on the backup part. Get into some type of NAS whether it's a two bay job or a low power Sandy Bridge combo and a gigabit switch.