Questions about 100g networking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

boe

Apr 7, 2019
Hello,

I'm trying to learn about 100g networking. I was thinking about making a direct connect fiber between network cards on different computers - no switch - just direct.

I found a fiber fanout that can go from one 100g to two 50g mtp/mpo connect -

I've never used anything over 10g RJ45 but want to play around a bit with transceivers and copper to really learn about it. Can a 100g transceiver such as this do 50g?
QSFP28 SR4

I also don't know if you need different types of transceivers for 24 or 12 pin.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
fiber connections is a SOB to piece together, it's not easy, it's not simple, takes expensive tools to make happen. NOt something your avg home user has lying around. Fiber splicing is an art work.

boe

Apr 7, 2019
Thanks - I wasn't clear - I was thinking about buying the fiber adapter and connecting directly to my nics on my systems - no switch.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I doubt you can configure your 100G card to operate as 2x 50G ports. You probably won't have any problem making a single port on the card act as a single 10/25/40/50/100G port, but it is rare to have the NIC side support break-out into independent ports, that is typically only on a switch.

The NIC would need to reconfigure how it presents itself to become 4 or more ports and allocate resources within the NIC differently.

Intel and Mellanox cards (at least <= Cx4) can't split the ports like that, it is a single logical connection per physical port.