Questionable 6TB Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
The shipping thing (we get up to 15 days) is a red flag, but like anything on eBay, do you REALLY know where it's from/been?

I recently bought a second WD Purple 4TB, got it on sale for 131 or 132... But that was a FOUR TB. (Recently - in last 60-90 days) so... Prices on the 6TB were about $50 higher (I was looking for an exact match to my current one).

So, yes- their price for TWO is low-- but (coming back to my original comment), "re certified new" could mean "used for 6 months in a client's system, and replaced because of corporate policy/SMART warning/warranty/customer whim/etc.)

Oddly enough, I learned recently that the (large) firm I work with replAces the HDDs in our video surveillance (mostly on doors/ingress/egress and server room entry/exits- maybe 6 cams per location/system??) every 9 months. Seems like a waste to me, but someone in our data security area obviously decided to make it a policy... could easily be the same sort of thing here? (I can almost hear some vendor laughing about the extra crate of LFF Purple drives each year...)

In other words, who knows... Just my 2 cents.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Apparently you can buy a Seagate TB drive from Alibaba for between $60-100 a piece. Minimum two drives per order.
St6000nm0024 Seagate 6-tb 7.2k 3.5 6g 512e Sata Hard Drive - Buy St6000nm0024,Hard Drive,6tb Hard Disk Product on Alibaba.com

The WD drives in question have a B&W label and only 3 month warrantee. Is that 90 days less 15 days for delivery? (Is that because they are coming from China?)
Good luck after 90 days have expired.

Admittedly they are half price than new drives, but you are taking some risk if they are refurbished and not a cheap Chinese drive with a WD label and only 75 day warrantee.

Cheers

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
@Boddy how did those China drives work? That looks really dodgy to me.
I have not bought one. I just searched the Alibaba site now, for curiosity; in response to this thread.

I imagine that this is where the white labels drives are sourced

(P.S. You can register with Alibaba and also express an interest in HDDs or SSDs and ocassionally they send you an email with various sellers details. FYI)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
15 day time frame makes me think of that ebay scam, but I'm just guessing... still a big red flag for sure.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Basically what I was thinking. What do you guys see the best bang for the buck 4-6TB drives as being? Looking for 14 drives for a file server

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I imagine that this is where the white labels drives are sourced
I think the majority of drives are from the Southern California recyclers who ingest WD (and other) RMA drives, test the drives, often wipe SMART data, then re-sell as good under White Label.

I do know folks in my old firm who did audits of those facilities.

Edit - just to add - the seller has 4TB WD SE drives for $108 with 15 day lead time and $130 now:
$108 - Western Digital SE 4TB ENTERPRISE 7200RPM 64MB SATA 3 Gbs 3.5" HDD WD4000F9YZ WD
$130 - Western Digital SE 4TB ENTERPRISE 7200RPM SATA 3 III WD4000F9YZ WD Hard Drive

At $108 those are fairly interesting.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Contacted the seller ages ago and determined that they're engaged in triangulation fraud, so you'll want to avoid them even though the prices are very lucrative.

Reactions: Patrick

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Contacted the seller ages ago and determined that they're engaged in triangulation fraud, so you'll want to avoid them even though the prices are very lucrative.
If you don't mind sharing, what tipped you off that this was the case? It would be nice to know for future transactions and dialogue with the other sellers.

From looking at his feedback for sales it all seems good for similar or the same 2x 6 TB hard drives. While I agree the 15 day lead time seems shady, as well as the price, his feedback for sold hdd items looks legit.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
You basically receiving stolen property, proceeds of fraud. If its too good to be true...