Question: Using Synology as a boot device

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
All - I very much appreciate the brain trust we have here. I have a question that I'm apologizing in advance for. It may be too simple. Here is what I am trying to accomplish; and yea, I have used Google but I need a plain English - "setup this then setup that and here's a tip to get it to work" kindof information.

Background:
Prior to putting servers into production, we typically test servers out using the latest Ubuntu installation at a time. My job is to assemble the server hardware, without drives, and ensure fans are working as well as some of the major motherboard components. Right now, I hook a USB CD drive to the servers, install Ubuntu 13.04 and then run test scripts. The admins handle the actual provisioning once we put them into production.

Issue:
This totally sucks. Why can't I just have a Ubuntu installation DVD on the Synology and boot to that OR just have an image I can port from machine to machine?

Question:
Is there a way I can do something like make an iSCSI drive on the Synology, boot a board automatically to the iSCSI drive and have all of the test software and scripts already on the image. I tried just moving a hard drive from machine to machine but Ubuntu stops bringing up the network and calls the network device something different every time.

TIA!

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I did an experiment using the Synology to serve up iSCSI boot drives. It worked, but it's slow. I went back to the old method - USB keys and recycled laptop drives. At $9 each, the USB keys make cheap boot drives. I have a whole set of them on a loop of string, each with a different boot setup.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Why not just search on how to set Ubuntu to automatically enable any adapter? Has to be a guide on that?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Can I suggest trying something? May or may not work for you:
1. Create an iSCSI volume
2. Install Ubuntu to the iSCSI volume that you mount during installation
3. Connect the new server to the iSCSI boot volume during boot
4. When you get into Ubuntu and it doesn't work type the command:
sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
5. Reboot

See how that works unless someone has a better idea.