Question to Threadripper owners about Diffrent RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hexenhammer

Dec 13, 2019
Hello people,
Building a 3960x system based on Zenith II for a friend that works from home and wants mixed use system, that also looks cool.
Right now we have a G.Skill NEO 3600/16 64GB Kit 4x16gb, which passed down from previous decision to build based on 3950x that was scrapped, we cant return the RAM and we dont want to sell it.
The main issue is that we will have 4 empty DIMM slots, and that wont look nice and symmetric.
Also for cheap we can boost ram by getting extra 32GB KIT 4x8Gb instead of additional 64GB
Can I populate the empty spaces with four sticks of 8GB RAM, same brand, same series, same spec, same chips
Will it still wok in quad channel?
Whats the chance i wont be able to use my memory profile [given the brand of the board and the CPU], I want to have 3600Mhz.

Thanks

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Two populated and two empty on each side will look symmetric!

On TR, you generally want to use 1DPC if you want to keep RAM speeds up. Same with EPYC 7002.

Hexenhammer

Dec 13, 2019
Two populated and two empty on each side will look symmetric!

On TR, you generally want to use 1DPC if you want to keep RAM speeds up. Same with EPYC 7002.
Is the 1DPC relevant for the new TR? 3960x? Isn't it using IO die and the memory connection is different from previous TR?
Is there any difference if I use 4x16Gb + 4x8Gb [64GB kit + 16Gb kit + 16Gb kit] vs 8x16Gb total [Two identical 64GB Kits] RAM from same series and same spec of course.

My main issue is that the motherboard has this warning:
You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A, Channel B, Channel C, and Channel D.
The system maps the total size of the lower‑sized channel for the quad‑channel configuration.
Any excess memory from the higher‑sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.
Isnt this from Intel and ASUS just copy pasted? OR TR is the same?

P.S. Dont tell anyone, the whole issue is RGB, [please people dont troll me].
So basically we want to make it as cheap as possible if possible since 64GB are OK for the use [at least for now], but more RAM always better.

Reactions: Tha_14