Question around Linux Users setup for Docker & Portainer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

C-BoT-AU

Mar 10, 2024
VERSION 21.1 (Vera) *Note, as part of this process I may upgrade to Mint 21.3 unless I find reason otherwise
UBUNTU_CODENAME: jammy
DOCKER CONTAINER MAPPED FOLDERS: /home/user/.docker (eg. .docker/appdata, .docker/logs)
Server:
Server Version: 25.0.4
Storage Driver: overlay2
Backing Filesystem: extfs
Supports d_type: true
Using metacopy: false
Native Overlay Diff: true
userxattr: false
Cgroup Driver: systemd
Cgroup Version: 2
Runtimes: io.containerd.runc.v2 nvidia runc
Default Runtime: runc
Init Binary: docker-init
containerd version: ae07eda36dd25f8a1b98dfbf587313b99c0190bb
runc version: v1.1.12-0-g51d5e94
init version: de40ad0
Docker Root Dir: /var/lib/docker
Debug Mode: false
Business Edition
Version: 2.19.4

After using Docker and Portainer for around a year now, the learning process and changes to the system I have made are now causing issues, especially related to deleting and sometimes even starting/stopping Stacks from within Portainer. The below is one of the main errors I receive:

failed to remove a stack: Error response from daemon: <html><body><h1>403 Forbidden</h1> Request forbidden by administrative rules. </body></html>
I have been able to work out that it is to do with how Docker is installed ('root' install) and some messiness around the UID/GIDs being used to start the daemon and Portainer (currently using the 'main' user 1000).

To fix this, I want to completely remove Docker from my system (keeping my `'appdata'` folder located in `/home/user/.docker` and a backup of my Docker-Compose/Portainer Stack files for easy redeployment), then reinstall Docker to run in Rootless mode (Run the Docker daemon as a non-root user (Rootless mode)) as a new user (d-docker).
While I don't want to make a new user for every container, I do want to separate them for better security and access.

Group:
10000 - container-super (Super users for containers that have direct access to the now proxied DOCKER_HOST)
11000 - container-nas (for containers that have local filesystem, NAS access and shared folders such as logs and databases)
12000 - container-local (for containers that ONLY have local filesystem access)
13000 - container-nopriv (for containers with very limited or no filesystem access beyond their own necessary config folder)

Users would then be something like:
G:10000 U:10001 'd-docker' (used to install and run the daemon and with created Home Directory)
G:10000 U:10002 'd-portainer'
G:10000 U:10003 'd-diun'
G:11000 U:11001 'd-aars' (for Radarr, Sonarr etc)

And then access via setfacl
/home/d-docker/.docker/* would be set with full read/write access for group 10000 via `sudo setfacl -R -P -m g:10000:rwx` (and my main user 1000 would also have full read/write access)
/home/d-docker/.docker/logs would then be set with full read/write access for group 11000 via `sudo setfacl -R -P -m g:11000:rwx`
While this might be a bit fiddly at first, it can be managed from within Linux with relative ease (I believe).

I would then launch Portainer via sudo -u d-portainer 'docker-compose up -d'
With the below:

Code:
version: "3.9"
services:
  portainer:
    image: portainer/portainer-ee:latest
    container_name: portainer
    environment:
      - PUID=10001
      - PGID=10000
From there, I can set the PUID and PGID as needed within each stack/container compose file.

So my question is... Will this work? Will this help me keep permissions a little more secure but also still work?

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
I'm not 100% certain what you're hoping to do will or will not work. I think it may?

I do think that Podman fits your needs better.

You may be interested in Kubernetes (RKE2 even) too. I think Kubernetes is where you're headed, just based on what you're trying to do in your post. You can still use Portainer with Kubernetes if that's your jam.

If you're starting over (basically) you might as well get into some container management system that has your security and separation desires built in.

Last edited:

C-BoT-AU

Mar 10, 2024
I'm not 100% certain what you're hoping to do will or will not work. I think it may?

I do think that Podman fits your needs better.

You may be interested in Kubernetes (RKE2 even) too. I think Kubernetes is where you're headed, just based on what you're trying to do in your post. You can still use Portainer with Kubernetes if that's your jam.

If you're starting over (basically) you might as well get into some container management system that has your security and separation desires built in.
Thanks! Appreciate the response, (and I hope breakfast was good!)

Regarding Podman and Kubernetes. I actually looked into it and was very interested in looking further and yes, possibly using it as a replacement. Especially because I eventually want to replicate certain containers in the cloud as backup/support and from my reading, it will be better supported(?).
I have a tendency to overcomplicate things that don't need overcomplication, and when something breaks, it's a very hard fix because I generally started with a "simple" approach that wasn't designed for it which is how, over the past 18 months of "learning new tricks" I've caused issues with my setup.

For now, I don't really have the time (or patience) to get up to speed with Kubernetes, so I am going to stick with Docker purely so I can get everything I have up and running quickly and with copy/paste of the compose files.
But, given I may switch to Kubernetes, and that I am now thinking my whole approach with the users may be more hassle than it's worth (it's just a homelab, not like I'm running mission-critical apps), I will just do a full uninstall and then reinstall rootless. I'll need to fix permissions on some of the appdata folders, but that's easy.

Once that's up and running, it can hum away, and I can leave it be and explore Kubernetes on another machine.

Reactions: NerdAshes