Question about Supermicro X10DRi-T4+ and a few other things

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yttrium

Nov 8, 2023
First of all, hello everyone! Just joined the forum. It seemed to be the right place join for this hobby. :) I just want to say right away, english isn't my first language, but I hope you'll understand anyway.

1. First up is about the motherboard in the title. I've seen people running this board, and right now, I can get one for a decent price. However, I went to look it up on Supermicros homepage, and at the very top it says "X10DRi-T4+ (For SuperServer Only)". What does that mean? For SuperServer only? Does that mean it's proprietary in some way? Is it going to be a problem?

2. I've noticed that this board is EE-ATX, and when I've been googling about EE-ATX boards, some people have been saying that Supermicros boards sometimes doesn't seem to follow standard EE-ATX dimensions. That makes me worry it won't fit in my Fractal Design Define 7 XL even tho Fractal Design states it's supposed to fit EE-ATX boards. Will this be a problem? Has anyone ever tried to use one of these boards in a Define 7 XL? Does anyone know of all of the standoffs can be lined up correctly?

3. Something I realized last night was the fact that the dual socket boards require dual EPS connectors and none of my PSUs have that. Would you say I'm going to need a new PSU, or is it possible to just use an EPS splitter cable? I got a Cooler Master V700 (Seasonic) that I was considering using at first. CPUs is most likely going to be two E5-2697AV4 with a TDP of 145W each. And while I doubt I'm going to max those CPUs anytime soon, I suppose I don't want to put too much load on my PSU. But at the same time, even if I max out both CPUs, and I have a total of 8 sicks of ram (usually around 4-5W /stick), 10 hdds (usually around 5W each), a HBA for the drives and ofcourse the mb itself, shouldn't I still be fine? I don't know how to calculate this, or if there's something I don't know about, but if I just add everything up it seems like I got loads of power left even at full load.

4. As I mentioned in the last question, I want to run two E5-2697AV4. This is probably a little bit overkill for me. One would probably be enough, but when you can get them for almost no money, it seem silly to not get a second one. However, what extra power consumption would that add?

Links to the parts I've been asking about:

MB:
X10DRi-T4+

Chassis:
Fractal Design Define 7 XL

CPU:
Intel Xeon E5-2697A-V4

PSU: (Could not find a link to the manufacturer)
Review with all specs of Cooler Master V700

Last edited:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
1. It has a proprietary form factor, hence the labeling. They're cheap on account of that.
2. EEATX isn't a standard (see #1). A number of cases have the clearance for it and it looks like that will work.
3. It's EPS, not ESP, but if you're not putting in GPUs, should be fine with 700W.
4. Depends on your load?

Yttrium

Nov 8, 2023
1. It has a proprietary form factor, hence the labeling. They're cheap on account of that.
2. EEATX isn't a standard (see #1). A number of cases have the clearance for it and it looks like that will work.
3. It's EPS, not ESP, but if you're not putting in GPUs, should be fine with 700W.
4. Depends on your load?
Thank you for the quick answer.

1. I thought EE-ATX wasn't proprietary? All other boards they have with an odd form factor clearly states it's proprietary, this one doesn't (except for that thing about it being for superserver only).
2. I guess it doesn't matter if it's proprietary or not as long as it fit in the Define 7 XL and work just as any other board apart from being another form factor.
3. So assuming full load, 300~W on just one EPS cable shouldn't be a problem? And no, not planing on having any GPUs in this server.
4. Ofcourse, I understand that. But as I said, I think one of those CPUs is probably enough for what I'm going to run on the server. The only reason for getting that second one is because it's so cheap to buy anyway. So I assume the second CPU is going to do alot of idleing. So I guess my question is how much extra power consumption it would add assuming that second CPU is just idling.

spunneR5

May 6, 2016
Did you ever go through with this build? I have an older E1200 series X9 motherboard that I'm itching to upgrade to a Xeon v4 configuration, and I'm trying to decide on a X10DRi-T4+ (great deal), 2x processors and RAM, or go the Used-Dell-Server route.

Curious if you followed through on this. Thanks