Question about QNAP QSW-m2116p-2t2s

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
I just ordered a returned one on amazon warehouse during prime day that should be arriving today. What can I help you answer as I tinker with this?

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
And how about the volume of the fans and the heat the switch produces?
Could be my next homelab switch, 2.5G, 4x 10G seems to be pretty nice. Fanless, PoE++ on the 2.5G ports and 4 SFP+ would be an instant buy.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
And how about the volume of the fans and the heat the switch produces?
Could be my next homelab switch, 2.5G, 4x 10G seems to be pretty nice. Fanless, PoE++ on the 2.5G ports and 4 SFP+ would be an instant buy.
It's POE+ on the 2.5GbE ports and POE++ on the two 10GbE ports. For me that is more than plenty.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
So I just put it into "production" two days ago so can't really comment on a ton, but initial observations:

• The 2.0 firmware is much better in terms of UI and features than the 1.0 versions. Keep in mind you have to upgrade sequentially (ie. 1.0.6 -> 1.whatever -> 2.0)
  • The 2.0 firmware has fan settings to adjust the fan profile based on temperature. The switch is reasonably quiet, like you could stuff it in a closet in your office and not hear it. This is, however, with only 1 x 10gig connection and a couple of 2.5gig connections with one PoE+ device connected. Don't have anything to test PoE++ yet
  • The 10 gig ports are not "combo" ports, so it actually is 4 x 10 gig ports, which is nice.
  • Apparently you can "hack" this switch and SSH into it's terminal super easily to load custom firmware/functions, etc.: https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/p4czkr
So far pretty happy, and QNAP seems to be pretty responsive to feedback as they've pushed out a few firmware updates addressing concerns (like VLAN labels and fan noise). Will update if anything changes. I only got this switch b/c I got a great deal on a lightly used one on Prime Day (~$400 or so), so it wasn't something I was considering before seeing the deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: casperghst42