Quanta LB8 1LB8ZZ0001 help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Byte6d65

Sep 19, 2018
So over the weekend I lucked out and got a Quanta LB8 1LB8ZZ0001 from DNI for $100.00, Now listed for $600, I'm looking to use this as a main switch for my house runs so I can run an thing from 1Gb-E to 10Gb-E copper or fiber. It's listed as a Layer 4 switch and after Telnetting in to make sure it worked it seems that is the feature set of the FW/SW. I'm a complete network noob when it comes to this type of thing, and I'm wanting to know will the switch work as is for what I want, or do I need to to look into flashing a FW/SW onto it that is layer 2 or 3 capable, and if so does any one have any idea of how and where to get said FW/SW.

I currently use a ASUS RT-AC68R for handing all the routing and IP adressing since it handles my WiFi and internet, with a LB4M as a basic switch that every thing gets connected to, looking to replace the LB4M function with the LB8.

System Description............................. Quanta LB8, 1.2.0.18, Linux
Machine Type................................... Quanta LB8
Machine Model.................................. LB8
Serial Number..................................
FRU Number..................................... 1LB8BZZ0001
Part Number.................................... BCM56843
Maintenance Level.............................. A
Manufacturer................................... 0xbc00
Burned In MAC Address..........................
Software Version............................... 1.2.0.18
Operating System............................... Linux 2.6.21.7
Network Processing Device...................... BCM56843_A3

Foray

May 22, 2016
That's the newest firmware I've seen for those. I've got .11 and .14. Please share your .18 firmware if you can.

As far as layer 2/3, it is capable of routing and dhcp server. But it's not a firewall nor is it capable of being a dns server.

Byte6d65

Sep 19, 2018
If you can explain how to dump it I will, and I don't need it as a firewall or DNS, I just want it as a managed switch like my LB4M that every thing in my house will connect into and then it will go to either a HW router like my RT-AC68R that does the firewall/DNS/DHCP or a custom firewall/router setup like pfSense at a later date.

Basically what I plan on having is Modem>Router/Firewall>LB8, then from there I plan on either having direct device connections like my NAS, Workstation, HTPC, Media Server, and the like for 10Gb, then I'll have runs through out the house to each room where a direct connection can be made or simple desktop switches can be put in place if more then 1 device needs to be connected, these I plan on running copper and fiber for so I can use any thing from 1Gb to the full 10Gb.

Foray

May 22, 2016
No routing will occur as long as you don't direct anything to use the LB8's ip as the default gateway. You shouldn't need to change the firmware, switching should be plug and play.

Siman

May 31, 2017
Did the firmware get posted I picked one up from DNI aswell i can get it dumped this weekend