Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

i6feetunder

Sep 20, 2017
if the 7024 loader is uboot, it should be possible, but the bootloader staging and copy addresses will most likely be different. I'd be willing to jump on discord or google hangouts with you and figure it out when I have a moment (assuming you have access to a 7024 because I do not), I have seen a few people who have been wanting to do that without jtag
Thanks fohdeesha. I would need some helps from @Terry Kennedy.

Jerry Han

Jan 7, 2018
Hello!

I was wondering if this sceneario is possible and if it is the best one for a highly available network.
If I had two LB6M, can they stacked by two or four 10G port?
Does LB6M support LACP port-channel across two switch unit?
I want my storage server use dual 10G port to two LB6M by LACP/LAG.

Thanks!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
if you flash it to brocade firmware, it supposedly supports stacking, which syncs the management plane between the two switches. Then you can use "active-active" failover in freenas or the like (different from plain LACP if I remember right, which would NOT be supported across both switches witohut explicit support for MCLAG)

bonkersGER

Jan 20, 2016
if the 7024 loader is uboot, it should be possible, but the bootloader staging and copy addresses will most likely be different. I'd be willing to jump on discord or google hangouts with you and figure it out when I have a moment (assuming you have access to a 7024 because I do not), I have seen a few people who have been wanting to do that without jtag
Any news here ?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Any news here ?
yeah, it'll be dead easy once I get ahold of the dell bootloader by itself. It's buried in the dell STK as a separate LZMA compressed partition, and inside that partition is an update routine, and somewhere in that routine is the smaller actual bootloader section that it copies to flash during the routine. Been slowly working my way backwards with a disassembler until I get to the instruction that copies to flash, then I'll have the location within the update file it's using

If anyone wants to save me significant time, patch this to support CRC16 instead of CRC32 and it'll take me 20 seconds to find it :p GitHub - claunia/findcrcs: Find and extract pieces of data by CRC, size and MD5

(you'll also have to add #include <errno.h> to the beginning of findcrcs.cc to get it to build succesfully)

alexhaj

Jan 12, 2018
Reactions: fohdeesha

alexhaj

Jan 12, 2018
So the pinout partially works. I can see the serial output but I cannot transmit anything back over the connection. Am I missing something?

update...I am just going to order the cable.

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I desperately need someone with a stock LB6M, not flashed, to go into the bootloader, run "printenv" and pastebin me the output. For a revert procedure, no ethernet connectivity on the thing until I have that output :( EDIT: got it, thanks!

Last edited:

Foray

May 22, 2016
I desperately need someone with a stock LB6M, not flashed, to go into the bootloader, run "printenv" and pastebin me the output. For a revert procedure, no ethernet connectivity on the thing until I have that output :(
Dissect that bootloader I sent you, the default environment variables should be in it plaintext.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
It has the default/fallback uboot env variables, but it seems there's different ones somewhere else on flash (have the address written down somewhere, not at home atm) that it pulls from. It seems also it pulls from eeprom for the ethaddr variable, maybe others as well. The fallback variables in the 512k bootloader file don't actually even work to allow networking, ethact and a couple others need changed, so I'm thinking there's more that I'm missing.

edit: seems they get stored here:
0x00000000-0x01f80000 : "jffs2"
0x01f80000-0x02000000 : "u-boot"
0x01fc0000-0x01fe0000 : "u-boot-env"

Last edited:

Ryan Anstey

Jan 17, 2018
Although the instructions are easy, and everything is quite easy to see, if you still aren't sure about this, please don't mod/replace the psu fans yet and WAIT till i post pics of what i EXACTLY did. I will cry if you blow up your psu on this sweet 10gigabit switch.
Any chance those pics have been posted yet? I have fans in need of replacing :)