quad port low profile nics

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Does anyone have a good source for some cheap 4port nics that are low profile?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Search nc364t, pro 1000 pt quad, etc, definitely under $100, getting closer to $50 these days.

I remember when I needed a full profile version, I couldn't stop tripping over the half heights. If you are lucky might even find one with both brackets not marked up.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
hmm that wont work want to use these for esxi....

guess i need to find a compatibility list

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
Do you need passthru though? I personally would avoid using nic passthrough.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
82575/6 might work with passthrough and can usually be found under $100 as "pro 1000 VT" and various dell cards, but check carefully as lots of incorrect listings, can work in your favor as some are listed as older PT as well.

If you want to be sure, i340 or 350 is best bet as its a single controller for sure, not as cheap.

I also agree VT-d kinda sucks in general, very hacky and finicky.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I've been thinking about ordering one of these:

Winyao WYI350-T4 PCIe X4

Either through dealextreme or a taobao broker. Appears to be a 4-port intel i350 with full and low height brackets for under $100.
If they work its a great deal, half what a good price is for pulls, theres been some talk about them on pfsense forums.

I'm not afraid to buy things from china and get all sorts of wifi components airmailed to me way cheaper (sometimes ~1/4th price) than stateside as long as a 1-3 week wait is ok. I'm no dummy and know that a lot of the US resellers are buying from the same places.

Since these are different pcbs and not overstock/extra shift nics its a total unknown; The server pulls on fleabay are a well proven option as long as its not a bad seller, you would be one of if not the first guinea pig for these ;)

Last edited:

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I got my Sun i350 quad-ports for just a little more than that a while back. They're fully supported in ESXi 5.1 and 5.5.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I got my Sun i350 quad-ports for just a little more than that a while back. They're fully supported in ESXi 5.1 and 5.5.
Best I ever managed was $150/ea shipped BO and that was probably offer attempt #30 to seller #20. Last I looked at completed listings $200+ sells nearly every time.

Damn though, if you need quad SFP and i350 for VMs, this is a steal if it works.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
hagak: why would you avoid passthrough? (just wondering the thought process here?)

From what i understand things like PfSense work best that way?

i found some full height cards for 25 bux, posted in the deals section, vmware docs says they are supported.. so if anyone needs a cheap card check those out...

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
hagak: why would you avoid passthrough? (just wondering the thought process here?)
Having a passed through NIC means that VM can't be migrated.

There were also some issues with passthrough not working properly, last I checked. It's still not perfect. For example, I've got an LSI2208 controller which works with Solaris 11.1 natively, but not when passed through via ESXi 5.5. Passing the controller through with ESXi 5.1 works flawlessly. Pass the same controller through to Windows or OmniOS with either version of ESXi and it works just fine. It's just not perfect, and the headaches associated with it generally aren't worth the effort.

That being said, I've passed through individual ports on my adapters without issues before. YMMV.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
As stated reason for not passing through is you defeat one main point of a VM and that is hardware isolation. In particular there is very little reason to passthru a nic, sure a SAS controller for a SAN type VM makes sense since that VM needs specific control to do its job. But very few applications require hardware level control over the NIC. You can still get network isolation within your vswitch configuration without needing to passthrough the nic if that is a concern.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
As stated reason for not passing through is you defeat one main point of a VM and that is hardware isolation. In particular there is very little reason to passthru a nic, sure a SAS controller for a SAN type VM makes sense since that VM needs specific control to do its job. But very few applications require hardware level control over the NIC. You can still get network isolation within your vswitch configuration without needing to passthrough the nic if that is a concern.
I can see a use for it with badly supported OS's like BSD. Paravirtual adapters have been known to work like chit over there.