Quad m.2 PCIe x16 NVMe RAID0 ADAPTER by ASROCK

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Wow, $79 price is awesome. Looks like only Intel X299 and AMD X399 motherboards for now. I will wait to see what motherboards are verified to work with this promising quad m.2 card & quad bifurcation (4x4).

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
This is exactly my vision for M.2 in Desktop: Passive adapter cards with in-slot bifurcation. A PCIe 16x combo card with 4 M.2 individually switcheable for 4 MiniSAS for U.2 could also be fun.

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
The random 4k results on X399 were disappointing though. Great sequential, horrible random.
Yeah, their fakeraid is kinda broken. Intel has put more effort into their fakeraid. Fakeraid is still fake though, wouldn't touch either with a 10 foot pole.

Once you hand it over to the OS where it belongs, no problem. Hardware raid cards are dead [jim], none of those rinky-dink controller designs from the sas era can can handle nvme at full speed anyways.

SupremeLaw

Jan 20, 2018
We recently asked ASRock in the USA to reply with specific directions for doing a fresh install of Windows 10
on a RAID-0 of 4 x Samsung 960 Pro SSDs in an ASRock Ultra Quad M.2 card installed in an
ASRock X399M micro-ATX motherboard for AMD Threadripper CPUs.

They replied very promptly (same day) with the details.

The ASRock implementation looks very attractive, for several reasons of which I am aware:

(a) no need to "dangle the dongle" (cf. Intel VROC key);
(b) multiple Ultra Quad M.2 cards can be installed in the same motherboard (cf. DIP switches);
(c) the 6-pin 12V PCIe power connector is good planning;
(d) the cooling fan is larger than the comparable ASUS version;
(e) the diagonal placement of the M.2 SSDs should help with cooling;
(f) there is room for the longer 22110 M.2: Supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2;
(g) it's now relatively easy to compare the performance of 4 x Intel Optane 900P, using the M.2-to-U.2 cable and adapter;
(h) our workstation needs a larger ramdisk, using RamDisk Plus, and a much faster RAID-0 is perfect
because our ramdisk is SAVED and RESTORED at shutdown and startup;
(i) other products are elaborating this storage "ecosystem" e.g. Icy Dock's 5.25" NVMe ToughArmor enclosure:
ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB699VP-B Rugged Full Metal 4 Bay 2.5" NVMe U.2 SSD Mobile Rack For External 5.25" Bay - Newegg.com
(j) a variety of M.2 NVMe SSDs can be installed in the latter, using Syba's U.2-to-M.2 enclosure:
SYBA SY-ADA40112 2.5" U.2 (SFF-8639) to M.2 NVMe - Newegg.com
(k) on-board installation of 4 x M.2 SSDs eliminates the extra expenses of cables and enclosures.

We've also requested ASRock to produce a YouTube video which demonstrates
Windows 10 installation on this AIC installed in the ASRock X399M motherboard,
like this video:
[ASRock Classroom] How to build RAID and install Win10 on M.2 SSD?

The essential functionality required of compatible motherboards is "bifurcation"
aka "4x4" in ASRock nomenclature, and x4/x4/x4/x4 in ASUS nomenclature.

Hope this helps!

SupremeLaw

Jan 20, 2018
The random 4k results on X399 were disappointing though. Great sequential, horrible random.
One of the things that can happen with benchmarks of random I/O performance
is that a logical record or "block" is smaller than the RAID stripe size:
this difference means that such a block will ONLY be written to a single RAID member.
Therefore, the measured performance should drop significantly, because
only one RAID member is actually involved in an Input-Output Operation
with such a block.