QUAD 2011-3 CPU MOTHERBOARD ON EBAY 149$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cooldex

Jan 19, 2020
Quad Cpu INVENTEC motherboard that holds e5-4/8 v3/v4 series and 32 dimm slots for ddr3 I picked one up but no video output YET, only remote server java window to control it

i got 32gb stick
e5-4610 v3 1.7ghz (test cpu)

but going to pick up some 18core+ cpu's for 3d rendering

and atleast 256gb of ram

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
Probably this one B4000B0 Quad Socket Motherboard LGA 2011-3 DDR3 RDIMM 32 slots SAS SATA PCIe x16 | eBay

Quad Cpu INVENTEC motherboard that holds e5-4/8 v3/v4 series and 32 dimm slots for ddr3 I picked one up but no video output YET, only remote server java window to control it

i got 32gb stick

and atleast 256gb of ram
So when you say no video yet, you're saying you can get it to POST? Do all E5-4600 V3 have DDR3 capability? And do any V4 support DDR3?

Because with E5-2600 V3 it's only a few specific parts that support DDR3 right?

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
socket 2011 is for ddr3, socket 2011-3 is for ddr4. no matter what cpu (e5-4*** or e5-2***) you use.

if you have a motherboard with socket 2011-3 and ddr3 support, then this is the same situation as a motherboard x79 chipset with ddr4 support. in other words it is chinese copy-paste and weird combination. which i am avoiding

Reactions: Samir

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Intel made the basic die of the DP (Dual Processor ) Xeon E5 26xx V3 backwards compatible with DDR3, and some model CPUs did have DDR3 support enabled (2629,2649,2669, maybe others). But not all models supported DDR3. I have no idea if any of the Multi Processor (E5-4xxx) were compatible with DDR3. Although I would assume if there's an MP board out there for DDR3, there must be at least one model that did.

I know some made to order motherboards for large volume datacenter customers were made to use Xeon v3 CPUs and DDR3. So, at least those boards would probably be decent quality, and not just cheap Chinese mash ups. The board that @sno.cn linked to is an Inventec board. Inventec doesn't do retail, but makes board for other companies and large volume clients like Amazon. Since these were custom, I'm pretty sure there's almost zero available support for drivers, firmware updates and the like. I'm not sure how many, if any, "retail" boards had this combination. I know Asrock had announced some with this combination, but I'm not sure they actually produced them.

From Intel's Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 V3 Product Family Technical Overview: "The ® Xeon® processor E5–2600 V3 product family supports both DDR3 and DDR4 memory." Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 V3 Product Family Technical Overview

i got 32gb stick

and atleast 256gb of ram

@cooldex , if you did buy the board that @sno.cn linked to, I would recommend you send a message to Central Valley Computer and ask if they know which exact model Xeons are compatible. They were very helpful when I bought a different custom motherboard from them and had a hard time getting it to boot. The listing for this item on their website centralvalleycomputerparts.com says they've been tested,. If the boards were tested by them, they must know at least one CPU/Memory combination that works in it.

Edit: haha, @Sleyk beat me to it while I was writing a novel

Reactions: Cybertron and Sleyk

cooldex

Jan 19, 2020
I think intel surprisingly forgot to list ddr3 support in the e5-46xx v3 stat page because all the e5-46xx have ddr4/ddr3 support in various speeds, so think its dependent on whats the motherboard you put it in.

Yeah having no luck finding a direct model manual, Ive been cross referencing other boards with similar specs, and capabilities. But even then its a quite a unique board spec (where you just special order it for your company and trash it for the newest replacement).

Yeah I contacted the seller (different departments of the store, full business) but they didnt have much detail about, so order handfull of low cost cpu's (e7-4820/e5-4610 v3/e5-2637 v3/e52620 v2) from them and the 4610 is the best fit so far, and i think the 2637 v3 works too.

so now im trying to get a OS loaded cause the KVM java portal is black screen and no VGA output from the onboard VGA (but where would a IGPU be, im sure xeon doesn't have any) so I tried a gt710 but no video either so maybe I have to look throughout the config menu of the (MEGARAC/KVM/WEB BASED BIOS CONTROL)

So anyone with tips

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
no VGA output from the onboard VGA (but where would a IGPU be, im sure xeon doesn't have any)
The VGA port is connected to the BMC chip (AST2300). So do not worry about Xeons not having IGP.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
so now im trying to get a OS loaded cause the KVM java portal is black screen and no VGA output from the onboard VGA (but where would a IGPU be, im sure xeon doesn't have any) so I tried a gt710 but no video either so maybe I have to look throughout the config menu of the (MEGARAC/KVM/WEB BASED BIOS CONTROL)
In keeping with the whole, this board is designed for one specific client, theme.....perhaps your Browser/Java version(s) is/are too new? These boards may only work with Browser/Java versions that were "mainstream" when the board was new.

My experience is purely anecdotal for your use case, but got a different older Inventec board (B400, LGA 1155) off eBay a while back that didn't have any video output on the VGA connector and which I couldn't get the Java console to run on either. I installed the JRE that I assumed was current when the board was new, but no matter what I tried, nothing. I ran across a post (I can't seem to find it anymore, sorry) where someone suggested using an old version of Firefox Portable that was closer to the age that the board was (I used 12.0) and the console fired right up. Which is how I found out that my board had multiple prior critical faults and overheats in the past and was well and truly "toast". But at least I'd figured out why no video!

Reactions: Sleyk and sno.cn

pesceman3

Dec 9, 2016
NY
I had to downgrade to Java runtime 7u5 for my inventec board

afaik ddr3 chips include E5 2678 V3 / 2696 V3 / 2629 V3 / 2649 V3 / 2669 V3