Quad 2.5g nic card for pfsense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
Can anyone suggest a quad 2.5g card for pfsesne that isn’t made by a no-name Chinese outfit with firmware I don’t trust?

only thing I’ve found that seems to be from a reputable manufacturer is qnap but it’s expensive and not clear it’s really supported outside an actual qnap nas.

I see 10gtek sells a card using a Realtek chipset and the googles say this can be made to work on pfsense but I guess it ain’t out-of-box or sunshine and roses.

what’s known to work and not likely to be infected with malware from the factory?

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I use their 5ge quad port and it's been flawless for years now. If you Google around you can likely find them lower in price. Iirc it was $200 at the time and most places were at least $50 more.

RTL just probably needs the module blacklisted to make it use the newer one instead. Takes less than a minute to do. I had to block it on my mobo to make the 2.5 work properly.