Qotom firewally box

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
More info on it including full specs and pictures of the motherboard:

Reactions: itronin and aloe

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Is this thing suitable for PfSense?
its kind pokey by freq and only dual core. its dual gigem intel at that. Can probably perform wirespeed or close to it with a simple rule set and no dpi. Three interfaces total if you include the wifi but no idea but looks like wifi is ngff so you could probably replace the card in there with one capable of being an access point ... so yeah it could run it and in some use cases its probably suitable. Even as a lightweight vpn endpoint I think it would be fine... but 6 RS232 DB9's... screams console server to me more than anything else even at 75.00USD shipped its cheaper than a pi with a usb to multi serial out adapter, case heatsinks etc. etc.. just a bit larger. seems like it would be useful for a remote comms box or closet management node.

I suspect you have better things at hand to run pfSense or opnsense than this little guy...

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
its kind pokey by freq and only dual core. its dual gigem intel at that. Can probably perform wirespeed or close to it with a simple rule set and no dpi. Three interfaces total if you include the wifi but no idea but looks like wifi is ngff so you could probably replace the card in there with one capable of being an access point ... so yeah it could run it and in some use cases its probably suitable. Even as a lightweight vpn endpoint I think it would be fine... but 6 RS232 DB9's... screams console server to me more than anything else even at 75.00USD shipped its cheaper than a pi with a usb to multi serial out adapter, case heatsinks etc. etc.. just a bit larger. seems like it would be useful for a remote comms box or closet management node.

I suspect you have better things at hand to run pfSense or opnsense than this little guy...
Yea, I'm currently running PfSense on a SM X10SLV-Q with a G3460. It's as rock but something that uses a bit a bit less electricity would be nice.

Reactions: itronin and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yea, I'm currently running PfSense on a SM X10SLV-Q with a G3460. It's as rock but something that uses a bit a bit less electricity would be nice.
The challenge is that almost anything in the 'seriously less power' range is also seriously less powerful in single thread performance:

I know some of the newer thin clients do have better processors, but then again they cost more.

Reactions: itronin and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The challenge is that almost anything in the 'seriously less power' range is also seriously less powerful in single thread performance:

I know some of the newer thin clients do have better processors, but then again they cost more.
Think I'll stick with what I have for now. I could upgrade the CPU but I see no need to do so. I've thought about putting PfSense in a VM but decided to keep it simple. Maybe one day the perfect box will come along.

Reactions: Samir and itronin