Qnap v Synology

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
The real answer PnoT is Xpenology (if your ok with setting up your own hardware).

As many cpu cores as you want (I'm running an AMD A8, so 8 cores total).
as much RAM as a standard mobo can hold.
DSM 5.2 = Samba 4.1.16 included.
I'm running a 10Gig ConnectX-2 EN pcie card. So no max 120mb/sec limit.

It's been a LONG time since I've looked at that site and the hardware was really specific at that point but it sounds like that's not the case anymore. I'll give it a look for sure.

Will the IB ConnextX-2 work as well?

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
No DSM 5.2Beta on Xpenology yet to the best of my knowledge. I am running the Beta on my 1813+, and am its working just fine.
Xpenology is a good glimpse into what a Synology does, so even if you dont end up there, spin one up and play with it!.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Maybe someone can post up the download to the latest stable version for those of us who missed it but want to use it in a VM.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
The site is back up but the information for how to install, what versions are out there, and what does / doesn't work in each version are cluttered. I'm finding the entire site and forums just littered with a mix of old and new information that may pertain to x under x circumstances. I have a new VM spun up which took 5 mins but putting my 32TB array on it seems like a gamble at best.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I have used Thecus NAS's for years, and I have one friend who likes his Qnap units (but also uses NAS4Free), and 2 people like their Drobos (one of whom I convinced to go FreeNAS recently) but of people I know personally, other than homebuilt ZFS systems (ZOL, Freenas, etc.) more people I know like and use Synology and Thecus for their 4-8 drive NAS units. Thecus because they are cheapest and work well, Synology for the nicer UI. Qnap was in between last time I looked, by friend likes that they have 6 and 8 drive units when everyone else has 4, 5 and 7 drive units.

On the subject of Synology, at least 1 person I know got hit by "the Synology virus" which I haven't researched, but according to him it takes over the web UI and services other than SAMBA and is a real pain to remove (although he did not experience any actual data loss) - Based on that, I would recommend against Synology, but does anyone here know more about this Synology virus or know if it affects Xpenology as well?