QNAP Switches? QSW-3216R-8S8T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I am exploring options to add multi-gig to my setup at home.
Kinda needing a mix of SFP and RJ45 to accomodate various devices.

My access points will use RJ45, my desktop uses RJ45 but my other servers use LC Fiber.

Most switches have a few of each making me have to perhaps convert a device to a new format, and I still am kinda untrusting of RJ45 for 10gb in general over fiber.

The sutable options are well over $1000 in most cases, but I found this one switch: QSW-3216R-8S8T | Half-width Rackmount 16-Port 10GbE Unmanaged Switch for SMB/SOHO high-speed networking environment

On paper specs look good, I like the actual look of it, the cooling setup, etc.

The only real loss I see vs the more expensive options is that its not managed, sometimes I feel like you need managed to fix things like port speed negotiations, or just get general statics and visiability.

But to get 16 ports for half the price of a managed 8 port with limited options between SFP and RJ45, this is something I am willing to try.

I can find really no reviews of it, and wondered if anyone else has taken a look at t his switch, or owns it.

My next closest runner up to do the same funciton of this switch in my environment right now is a Zytxel XGS2220-30 or XS1930
The XS1930-12HP would give me 10 RJ45 ports and 2 SFP+ ports and let me run my AP without a POE injector.

The XS1930-12F would give me like 10 SFP+ ports and two RJ45 connections.

The XG2220-30 or XG2220-54 could outright replace my Broacade ICX 6450 without the need to add an extra switch.

Everything I have right now is managed, but I can definitly use a non managed switch without runing my network configuration.

QNAP seems to have a competitive niche product and just fact checking before buying anything.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I've been using their 5g4t nic for awhile and have no complaints. I've also been using Zyxel nwa210ax and no issues. So, both should be good options for switches. Management is nice for stats but, is it worth the price inflation? You can likely monitor things with snmp.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I've been using their 5g4t nic for awhile and have no complaints. I've also been using Zyxel nwa210ax and no issues. So, both should be good options for switches. Management is nice for stats but, is it worth the price inflation? You can likely monitor things with snmp.
Thanks for the feedback. As far as Zyxel I just ordered two of the WBE660S AP's that is one of the devices I need the new switch for.
Good to know you have enjoyed the AP from them.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
They're just as good as any other vendor at higher prices. When they started off with AX firmware though it was a bit of a roll of the dice on stability but, they eventually worked it out. Switches though are a lot dumber than an AP as it's just all ASIC unless it's managed. I even opened a case with Zyxel when I thought I could prove a speed issue with their QOS configuration and they were responsive.

QNAP - no support cases and a few different gadgets over the years. They tend to be cost effective and have some interesting niche options to play with outside of their core NAS stuff.

I'm about to play with my DIY AP setup now that there was a kernel update just released that enables AP mode on the M2 I ordered back in Nov to save $$$ for BE speeds.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I've had QNAP QSW-M408-4C switch for over 3 years now. (had few qnap's at work too) (running both fiber 10Gig sfp's and 10Gig eth)
Feature set is quite nice, its managed, supports everything heart would want to including lacp.

In my exp the qnap is more fancy than cisco, and overall has less issues than cisco;
?but is it worth the price for you?

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
Everything I have right now is managed, but I can definitly use a non managed switch without runing my network configuration.
The big feature missing in non managed for me is vlan functionality. Are you not using any vlans?
If that is not the case, then sure, but planning for the future it could quickly get expensive if it turns out you need vlans.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Why don't you consider Mikrotik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM ?
It ticks all your boxes, it's managed and costs less that ones you mentioned.
Definitly did look at Mikrotik, this is the model that I had on my short list.
CRS312-4C+8XG-RM

The reason QNAP kinda got first place was the fact it was quieter, found some fan noise complaints about Mikrotik, that it was a bit cheaper, and that it was front to back cooling like the rest of my rack.

The model you linked is neat, but only 4 10gb ports is kind of limited, same as I have now on my ICX 6450, looking for 8+ on a secondary switch that have a combination of RJ45, SFP and Multigig support.

The big feature missing in non managed for me is vlan functionality. Are you not using any vlans?
If that is not the case, then sure, but planning for the future it could quickly get expensive if it turns out you need vlans.
I have used vlans, infact in a very complex setup I have made things more simple now because little things wanted to break all the time, but in the few places I would use VLAN still like a guest network, IOT network, etc I can still use them even with a layer 2 switch by tagging them on the edge devices. I dont need to asign a switch port to a vlan for what I am doing currently.

That said I would never mind or pass up managed vs non managed. This will be the first time I use a non managed switch for anything other than connecting a few things together behind a desk.

If time comes I need a managed switch again I have no issues getting a new switch and having this as a nice portable bench switch in my equipment bag, as having a small 10gb switch for testing stuff could be very helpfull.

Reactions: Sealside

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Just to update, as I am apparently spamming the network section right now.
I am probably going to change up the plan.

I just tested with my R730 that has a 5gb RJ45 ethernet connection and a mutli-gig RJ45 SFP to my Brocade ICX 6450 and it seems to work great.

So rather than adding a 2nd switch to my 6450 to expand my 10gb capacity with its 4 SFP+ ports, I can grab an ICX 7250 for half the price of a new switch and have 8x SFP+ ports run three RJ45 SFPs and the rest can be fiber and keep it all down to one switch.

This is my preferred solution, less equipment running, and I do keep full management as well.

I love these Brocade Switches :)

Reactions: blunden