QNAP QM2-2P10G1TA Adapter General Purpose Mini Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Thank you for this review. I have been wanting this review for a while.

I am not exactly slot limited in my current server. but every once in a while I imagine a smaller server and this part always comes up as a expensive solution to a lack of expansion slot problem.

Chris

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
>> As one might expect, the results are lower than what we would generally see using the P961 on a system with Gen 3 PCIe x4 slot.

its not just lower, its dramatically lower. 3GB/s vs 900MB/s may be a deal breaker.
i like weird combined products, but this pci switch really drops the max performance.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
>> As one might expect, the results are lower than what we would generally see using the P961 on a system with Gen 3 PCIe x4 slot.

its not just lower, its dramatically lower. 3GB/s vs 900MB/s may be a deal breaker.
i like weird combined products, but this pci switch really drops the max performance.
Likely the Gen2 vs Gen3 is more of an impact. Unless you are doing transfers on both M.2 drives AND the 10Gbe at the same time the switch should have a modest impact.

Reactions: Patrick

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

You don't use it for 3GB/s performance, you stick a 256GB $30 drive in there that caps at 1GB/s writes and you are fine. It's the same performance as an external usb 3.0 nvme drive. This is for a boot drive or array cache, and for that it's decent enough.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
getting nvme and getting performance bottlenecked is not an option.

for bootdrives, servers have usb-inside, sd-cards(dell) and sata-dom.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I wonder if this card is "supported" on ESXI and supported as pass through for the 10gb and each nvme device???