QLogic QLE8152 Networking setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sachem87184

Feb 3, 2015
So since I'm currently being cheap until I get a Dell X1052P switch which has 4x 10GB SFP+ ports I'm trying to get the QLogic QLE8152 CNA cards to just talk to each other as NICS.

My current setup is a ESXi 6.0 Host with the qlge drivers loaded and a OmniOS host with the default drivers loaded. I can see each of the adapters a Ethernet and can assign IP addresses successfully but they are both showing link down.

I purchased 3x NEBULA FOR CISCO L45593-C216-D10 SFP+ DAC cables and when they're inserted the OmniOS box shows them as "SFP Invalid". Does this mean the cables won't work or am I totally off base? Good note is I found the HCL for the cards and ordered 3x Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M cables which are supposedly supported.

Also, is the QConverge Console VI Plugin for VMware total shit on 6.o or is it just me? (Can't even get it to install properly after tinkering for a day or so.)

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Got my cables. See link lights on my switch. What I don't see is a vmnic in ESXi 5.5. Don't see any settings in the BIOS to switch between FCoE / Ethernet modes. VMware docs say that a CNA should show up as both a vmnic and vmhba. Updated the firmware to the latest, reset to defaults, no go.

Got the QConverge working only in the Web Client but all it tells me is "No adapter data found." I did install both VIBs on the host.

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Well, turned out I needed to add another VIB for the qlge driver to get IP connectivity. All is good with three cards. The fourth seems to have shat itself while updating the firmware. "Failed to find vpd in nvram", "Failed to update vpd". On boot it says "ERROR! PCI CONFIGURATION ERROR". Good times.

Screen shots of the fail.

Last edited:

Drew Jackson

Jul 22, 2017
Well, turned out I needed to add another VIB for the qlge driver to get IP connectivity. All is good with three cards. The fourth seems to have shat itself while updating the firmware. "Failed to find vpd in nvram", "Failed to update vpd". On boot it says "ERROR! PCI CONFIGURATION ERROR". Good times.

Screen shots of the fail.
I did this as a conversation and really should have applied it here:

I was reading this forum regarding the QLE8152 (which I agree is a colossal pain in the...), anywho, what was the additional vib that needed to be loaded? I have the qlge and qlnativefc. The QConsole seems to be working now without issue.
I find it hard to believe that the link's don't come online right away if plugged into an ethernet switch. I'm questioning my selection of these QLogic cards. LOL
I'm on ESXi 6.5 with 2 HP DL380G7's and an Avaya VSP 7254 switch. Interestingly, I had another QLE8152 that, as you put it SHAT itself, that worked one day and stopped the next. I can't find anything online regarding getting the damn things to work!