Q: Can i mix Opteron 6174 and 6320 in a dual CPU setup?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

soldcake

May 7, 2015
I have a supermicro dual cpu motherboard.
I am wondering how to use one 6174 (12 cores) and one 6320 (8 cores) together, so that I can assign background workloads that are very multi-threaded to 6174, and assign workloads that require quick response time to 6320.
best regards
c.h.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
No. You cannot mix steppings, let along generations. However, hex, octo, dodeca and 16c can all work together. If same stepping... Theoretically.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I see. It makes sense.
Thank you for quick help. :-D
Also they are all going to run at the lowest common denominator for clocks. You can manually set them higher though with a software tool like turion power control.

Reactions: T_Minus

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
No. You cannot mix steppings, let along generations. However, hex, octo, dodeca and 16c can all work together. If same stepping... Theoretically.
Do you know of anyone that has tried this? Would this theoretically also work with intel cpu's?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Do you know of anyone that has tried this? Would this theoretically also work with intel cpu's?
I remember years ago someone trying it and I remember it working... but I kept the theoretical flag on to be safe.
Intel would also default to lower clocks... not sure about mixed core sizes... Intel tends to be pickier about things in general. Not sure about forcing some to clock to original or not... enough people with 2011's around here someone could give it a try. ;)