PXE booting Suse Linux 12 SP3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I have setup all of the necessary services needed to do a PXE boot but I'm still getting the error: PXE-E53 No boot filename received. I googled the error and found that it is telling me that it cannot get the boot file from DHCP. I have tripled checked my dhcpd.conf file and I can't seem to find anything wrong. Here is the file:
option domain-name-servers <DNS server>;
option routers <router IP>;
option ntp-servers 0.pool.ntp.org;
default-lease-time 14400;
ddns-update-style none;
subnet <subnet> netmask <netmask> {
range <begin ip> <end ip>;
default-lease-time 14400;
max-lease-time 172800;
if option arch = 00:07 or option arch = 00:09 {
filename "/EFI/x86/bootx64.efi";
} else if option arch = 00:0b {
filename "/EFI/armv8/bootaa64.efi";
} else {
filename "/bios/x86/pxelinux.0";
}
}

I followed this guide: How to Set Up a Multi-PXE Installation Server | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Update: I have gotten the host to PXE boot, looks like the issue was all of the if and else statements with the different boot options. Once I removed all of the unnecessary data from the file and left just filename"/bios/x86/pxelinux.0" it worked fine.

Know I just need to get my repository to work. I'm using FTP, I get to the point where it has me input server and the directory, I enter them but all I get is "repository not found". I am able to ftp to the server from a windows box using the same credentials I would use to find the repository, without issue. When I FTP from my windows laptop I see the directory OS and then under that is suse_12_sp1 and suse_12_sp3. I have tried OS/suse_12_sp3 and just suse_12_sp3 and still get the repository not found. Know to throw a wrench into it the OS directory is mapped to a Gluster volume, the idea is to store all of the install files for the various OS's on the Gluster volume.

Last edited:

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Got it working, Know the question is can I set it up to install other flavors of Linux like CentOS, Ubuntu etc, or do I need a separate server for each flavor?