PXE boot windows live OS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marco della vedova

Oct 10, 2022
Hi guys,
Im going crazy for find a solution to add a Windows 10 pro or server 2022 live OS to my lab network pxe boot system that is already including multiple software and also a Linux 22.04 live OS.
With live OS i mean a OS that comes from the network with a specific master image loaded on the server and its reset on the target machine everytime i reboot it.
In Linux there are tools for convert the image of the OS in a bootable image, in Windows i cant find anything similar.
Does anyone know a way for "extract" The current Windows installation and make it bootable?
I was already thinking to use software like ccboot /senetboot based on iscsi boot but seems that thoose software are made for a preconfigured number of clients (you need to specify the mac address of the PC that will run the ISO in the installation)
My working Linux pxe iso is running on every PC/workstation/server that i connect on the Lab vlan, i cant set machines previously because i use theese image for test all my hardware config in the lab.
Looking for something similar in windows environment.
Didn't found a specific topic directory for this request, feel free to move it.
Thanks

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Disk2vhd is used for P2V migrations and works just as well for V2V. Once you have a VHD, Ventoy can boot it. There are probably methods to boot VHD over PXE, but I'm not familiar.