PSA: Beware of eBay shill bidding

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
I have had to report 2 eBay sellers this week for shill account bidding. I'm not sure why they would even risk this type of activity. I just wanted to give everybody a heads up since allot of the activity seem's to be occurring on the used enterprise drive side.

You can usually spot this by checking who is bidding you up and what % of their bids is with the seller in question. Both of the accounts I reported over the last 2 weeks have been banned and all their auctions have been pulled.

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011
Honestly, I don't usually bother bidding on eBay anymore. I got tired of stuff like that and all the sniping, etc. I either go with Buy it Now or OBO items.

Reactions: Patrick

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I only bid if going for really good deal. If it's something I need I do a buy it now. If it's something I want, a make offer is preferred.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I always try to avoid bidding on ebay, Unless.. I know who is the seller that I bought before...

trying some bidding recently, the price mostly not good at the end.. and usually I let go due on "no make sense" $ bidding price....

bidding used enterprise parts is not on my list. well I always try and set the limit. and mostly go further much than I expected aka insane $$.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
I missed out on [a computer part]. It was exactly what I wanted. It was auction and it sold for $144. That's a crazy low price because that [computer part] can be sold for almost twice that. So the point is, there is still good deals to be had from novice sellers using auctions.

I also sold a few items using auction and felt they were sold for less than what I wanted. This means that I will only do buy it now from now, or set an acceptable starting price.

I feel like all the good deals are gone from eBay now that sellers can just list a price and sit on that indefinitely.

edited.

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I only bid in the last 30 seconds of an auction. No reason to play before that - it just tells other people there is something interesting here.

If it's not convenient to come back at the end then I dont. Simple.
forget on 30 seconds...
the bidding price before 30s mostly is already not making sense :p..

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I missed out on a Rampage IV Gene. It was exactly what I wanted. It was auction and it sold for $144. That's a crazy low price because that board can be sold for almost twice that. So the point is, there is still good deals to be had from novice sellers using auctions.

I also sold a few items using auction and felt they were sold for less than what I wanted. This means that I will only do buy it now from now, or set an acceptable starting price.

I feel like all the good deals are gone from eBay now that sellers can just list a price and sit on that indefinitely.
I think,, this thread is talking about used enterprise parts :D

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The last 2 items I won because nobody else was interested. I bid early on both and they ended with me as winner. Both were outstanding deals. As a general rule, if I'm out bid I walk away.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I hate bidding too.

I just put in my max bid when I see what I want, and never check it again... it's a bit time consuming to watch more than a couple auctions every day of the week, and then compete with 'snipers' the last couple seconds.