Proxmox WordPress Ceph and IOPS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I'm going to play with a Proxmox setup for a few external WordPress sites over the holidays. I think some people here (maybe @Patrick) are using WP VMs on Proxmox Ceph.

How much IOPS do you need? With WP Super Cache you're hitting RAM mostly. I don't know why but I'm nervous.

I want to use KVM with Ceph storage but I don't want to have terrible IOPS that kill performance.

And can anyone comment, is Proxmox stable enough for this? They've had 2-3 updates in the last year so I'm apprehensive about uptime.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Basic wordpress install to Ceph is maybe 100-200 IOPS per site. I have Proxmox 4.1 hosts with over a year of uptime hosting KVM VMs.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
I'm going to play with a Proxmox setup for a few external WordPress sites over the holidays. I think some people here (maybe @Patrick) are using WP VMs on Proxmox Ceph.

How much IOPS do you need? With WP Super Cache you're hitting RAM mostly. I don't know why but I'm nervous.

I want to use KVM with Ceph storage but I don't want to have terrible IOPS that kill performance.

And can anyone comment, is Proxmox stable enough for this? They've had 2-3 updates in the last year so I'm apprehensive about uptime.
It ultimately depends on your actual setup. WordPress or not, IOPS or not. An improperly designed setup will always hit bottlenecks.

Honestly, if you size your MySQL server correctly you really you only need a few IOPs.

I have a 4 node Ceph cluster backing Proxmox right now, and I can hit quite a few IOPs with no problems. So far with 2 clients I've hit well over 2Gbit/s on just 4 nodes with 8 SSD's each. 0 tuning. ( Client nodes are single 10G )