Proxmox + Windows + GPU passthrough?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pakna

May 7, 2019
I have some eight SATA SSD drives lying around and I am toying with an idea to install Proxmox on my workstation on a mirrored pair of NVMe drives (boot pool), create a striped pool comprised of all the remaining SATA drives (game pool), kick the Windows VM off from an image lying on the boot pool and pass-through my 1080Ti and add a zvol (basically spanning the whole game pool) that would get attached to the Windows VM via iSCSI and serve as a game library drive.

The reasons for doing jumping through these hoops:
  • I work mostly in Linux, I use Windows only for occasional gaming
  • Storage Spaces are a bit disappointing/slow (I believe a ZFS striped pool of 8 SATA SSDs would yield better performance than what Storage Space striped pool can provide)
What are the gotchas and issues with this thought experiment? Would it have any merit do configure this as it is or would it be completely useless? Is there an easier way to achieve what I am trying to do here?

name stolen

Feb 20, 2018
Gotchas? All of them. Issues? All of them, but mainly, lack of simplicity, and agony of troubleshooting. This is a fun learning experiment, but the experience will not be a fun desktop experience.

Pakna

May 7, 2019
I agree - aside from the obvious path (dual booting), what would you suggest? One other option that came to me would be to just install Proxmox and then spin up a separate Linux and Windows VM, passing through the GPU both VMs (they would never be turned on simultaneously).

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I dislike proxmox, but its a fine if you have GPU from nv pre-30 series. You can do vgpu unlock there. (and have it turned on 2 machines simultaneously.)

Unraid - very human friendly, you can play with both dockers, and kvms with relative ease, zfs is a plugin not by default. (costs $)
TrueNAS Core - quite human friendly, and you can play with both kvms, dockers (webui is more fancy than unraid, but offers less customization) (free)

but i would recommend having a cheap vid card for linux anyway (very pop is nv 1660, as it also quite nice for transcoding). Whatever it needs to drive gui.

Last edited: