Proxmox VLANs on 10G

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
So I've got a Proxmox server that has a 10G connection to a L2 switch. No vlans are setup on the switch and I'm frankly worried that I'll mess something up if I try it.

I'd like the Proxmox server to connect to two LANs, a public one 10.200.1.1/24 and a storage one 10.200.100.1/24

Currently there's a 1G and a 10G switch. Both are devoid of VLANS. 10.200.1.1 is on the 1G 10.200.100.1 is on the 10G. The switches have a 10G uplink and the vision is that in the future the 1G will go away or it'll be IPMI only.

So what's the best way in Proxmox to do this? I'd normally just assign an interface like:
iface eth1:0

Then to 2 vlans but I'm sure it'll blow up this setup I inherited.

Linux Bridge using eth1 and another using eth1:0? Or setup OVS? I'm not sure if OVS is worth it on Proxmox anymore.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
It used to be (in Linux in general) that you could only VLAN the physical interface, and you then had to have a Linux Bridge per VLAN.

No longer: the Linux Bridge can be VLAN aware, like so in Proxmox VE:

proxmox_vlan_switch.png
You can then create interfaces on VLAN's on the Bridge itself; those have an IP address in my case. You can also do that for VM's: either connect them to a VLAN on vmbr0 (which shows up as an untagged LAN on the VM), or without, in which case the VM can do its own VLANing (I use the latter for my pfSense virtual gateway).