ProxMox Host Startup Failure; Radeon Failed Initializing UVD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OwensTechstead

Jan 14, 2024
This host originally had an old nVidia workstation card installed. I've since switched to a "VisionTek Radeon 512MB 4350 SFF x1 PCIe DMS59" because it's an x1 card and gave me back a valuable x8/x16 slot so I can expand the storage. The host seemed to work fine for a while. I did run updates at some point, and it was sometime after that it began failing to fully start. I'm pretty sure I had rebooted a time or two AFTER the system updates and it was fine.

Anyway, I tried changing the CSM settings to specify Video as UEFI. This didn't work. I'm not sure what else to do. I like having a GPU so I can connect a monitor for console access. I don't care about doing any transcoding/GPU passthrough/etc with it. I just need my host to boot again. Any guidance is much appreciated. I've been Googling for about 4 hours and my brain is fried lol! Thank you. Attaching a pic of the console output it parks on.

console.jpg

OwensTechstead

Jan 14, 2024
It turns out the GPU I bought is defective. It arrived brand new in box, totally pristine. I started seeing random "artifacting" with weird colors changing like an old TV that is at the end of its rope. Looking at the PCB, there are a few electrolytic capacitors. Being a Radeon HD 4250 which is about 15 years ago, I imagine those capacitors are just dried out by now. Of course that's the best case scenario. I'll be able to repair it for a few dollars. Hopefully, the solder balls under the GPU haven't fractured/separated from old age. It's anybody's guess if it was stored in consistently ideal temperatures all these years. Even if it was, that's no guarantee. I'll find out eventually.

For now, I put the old nVidia quadro 2000 back in it (solid-state capacitors on that one, btw lol). It will have to do.