Proposed Build -- Comments appreciated

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

soundscribe

Mar 26, 2012
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on my all in one media server/VM host build.

Build’s Name: Vault V2
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Esxi 5, running Open Indiana VM for ZFS zpool storage
CPU: Intel E3-1230 V2
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCL+-F
Chassis: Norco RPC-4224 + 120mm fan bracket + RL-26 rails
Drives: Probably mirrored 64GB SSD for OI OS storage, plus 4x2TB drives in two ZFS vdevs to start, more later.
RAM: 4x8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC (how to find correct memory?)
Add-in Cards: One IBM 1015 to start
Power Supply: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
Other Bits: 3x Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan + 2x Noctua NF-R8 80mm fans

Usage Profile: Media server (music, video), stream to 1-2 clients, backups, multiple VMs (windows 7/linux)

Am I missing anything? The case seems overkill for the number of drives. I could go with something smaller, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

For ZFS, I'm considering moving to RAID-V2, but not sure it's better for my application than just running multiple mirrors.

Do the RL-26 rails fit OK in most racks? I've heard reports they don't....

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The RL-26 fit just fine if you install the correctly.
The case is overkill, but smaller options won't save you much money with a 3U 16-drive case and if you go to a 2U design you start to have trouble properly mounting a standard ATX power supply. For home users with one large chassis a 4U 20/24 drive case is perfect. SuperMicro cases are better, but the Norco's are quite nice (and lots less expensive). Besides - it gives you room to grow.

OT: Not to hijack a thread, but using Norco's RL-26 rails are you able to pull a 4220/4224 out far enough to open the top panel (assuming the RU right above it is full)? While the rails "fit", I couldn't ever figure out if I made a mistake or if they are actually designed to stop short.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Good build. A lot of folks here have something similar.

If you get the RL-26 rails. Spend the extra few dollars and get the ball bearing ones. I haven't found a different part number but make sure you get the BB ones.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
OT: Not to hijack a thread, but using Norco's RL-26 rails are you able to pull a 4220/4224 out far enough to open the top panel (assuming the RU right above it is full)? While the rails "fit", I couldn't ever figure out if I made a mistake or if they are actually designed to stop short.
Well I cannot answer that definitively, because I have my rack jammed up in the corner of a small closet. I want to say you can though, because the rails are supposed to extend to 38" and the Norcos are about 24-25 inches deep IIRC.

soundscribe

Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for the comments. I'll make sure to get the ball bearing rails.

On the memory, according to Supermicro's memory configurator, these ought to work with that mobo:

Hynix DDR3-1600 8GB ECC Hynix Chip CL11 Server Memory - HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB

Correct? $67 per stick...

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
The last time I looked at OI, it wasn't recommended to use SSD's as TRIM wasn't supported. RAID definitely means no TRIM.

Mind you, keeping the SSD's for cache was in so maybe I just missed the whole SSD boat, lol.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
If you run dual CPU and 24 SAS drives, 1200 watt might be nice. Also note that 1200W is not 1200W on 115V mains. But I was not saying he NEEDED that size PSU, but that he may very well want a redundant supply. Not sure of his requirements, but once you get into the realm of centralized mutli-TB RAID solutions you really are no longer a CONSUMER user. For me, my home server I decided I needed to make it as bullet proof as possible to avoid both data loss and downtime. My client (my wife) is pretty demanding about no downtime!

Norco chassis's have a history of poor quality control, because of that I personally avoid them like the plague.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Not sure of his requirements, but once you get into the realm of centralized mutli-TB RAID solutions you really are no longer a CONSUMER user. For me, my home server I decided I needed to make it as bullet proof as possible to avoid both data loss and downtime. My client (my wife) is pretty demanding about no downtime!
QFT. This. I think consumer segment NAS ends somewhere in the 2-5 disk drobo range.