Process check for pulling fiber--some questions!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Hi all--

I've done some very minor pulls in the past and am now looking to run some new 6a and two 135' armored SMF cables. There are 4 existing drops there and it runs through a very clean crawl space and then up to a second floor attic then down an outside wall. The point where it runs up from the crawlspace to the second floor i have complete access to so I'm feeling confident about if there's a snag it will be there and i'll be able to get to it.

My thought process is to get poly pull line, take one of the existing cat5 drops cut the rj45 end from the remote end, attach the poly pull line to it and then electrical tape the end. Pull the existing cat5 from the source and the poly cord with it until the poly cord from the remote location shows up. Attach the SMF fiber cable to the source side poly cord and pull it back to remote site. This is where it gets a bit confusing for me---should I attempt to pull BOTH SMF cables at the same time (they are about the thickness of a cat5e cable) back or is there a more preferred method to get the back and forth done? Do I attempt to attach all the cables and pull them all at one time (2x SMF and ideally 4x cat6a).

Thank you for the insight and recommendations!

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Did the cables come with a pull sock/eye? If not you need to be careful not to damage the connectors. I presume they are just LC duplex.

Make sure nothing mechanical grabs on the fiber casing at the end. The armored portion will be fine and I would presume they look like the ones used in metal clad electrcal cable but with a plastic coating. Wrap your pull cord along the armored portion and use electrical tape to secure. Place your copper cables with the fiber then wrap the end you're pulling with cable sleeves and then a shrink tube to ensure they stay put. Stagger your two fiber cables. Never pull on the bare connectors. If your connectors are MPO there are pull eye caps/connectors you can buy for this purpose. Pull on your copper cables + pull cord.

Unless you have a spool caddy unroll your cables before you pull to prevent tangling.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Did the cables come with a pull sock/eye? If not you need to be careful not to damage the connectors. I presume they are just LC duplex.

Make sure nothing mechanical grabs on the fiber casing at the end. The armored portion will be fine and I would presume they look like the ones used in metal clad electrcal cable but with a plastic coating. Wrap your pull cord along the armored portion and use electrical tape to secure. Place your copper cables with the fiber then wrap the end you're pulling with cable sleeves and then a shrink tube to ensure they stay put. Stagger your two fiber cables. Never pull on the bare connectors. If your connectors are MPO there are pull eye caps/connectors you can buy for this purpose. Pull on your copper cables + pull cord.

Unless you have a spool caddy unroll your cables before you pull to prevent tangling.
Nope just single cables with LC ends. I expected them to be much thicker but they aren't much more than a typical fiber patch cable honestly (has me a bit worried to be honest). I should have had a pulling eye put on from the factory (fs.com) but wasn't aware of that option when I ordered a month ago. Thanks for the tips---you've given me a MUCH more detailed and solid plan than I was envisioning. Much appreciated!