Problems installing ESXI 5.5u2 under UEFI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HeBeCB

Dec 5, 2014
Working under the assumption it would be better to install my hosting using UEFI, I started down this road of frustration (feel free to challenge that assumption as I was able to get it running under legacy BIOS just fine).

I've tried using both the CD I used for my initial (bios-based) install as well as a USB stick I created using rufus. Both attempts failed but in very different ways.

For context, my system is built around a SuperMicro X10-SL7-F.

My first attempt was to put the ISO on the USB that would ultimately house the host image. I followed directions I found out there to create the image using Rufus (and also tried unetbootin per some other recommendations... failed in exactly the same way). When I UEFI boot the usb, I get the following:

3>Command line is empty.
<3>Fatal error: 32 (Syntax)
I've searched around and not found anything that directly address that error... just some other folks who say they encountered it and worked around it by disabling UEFI.

Since I was not able to get past this roadblock, I turned to the CD I used to do the non-uefi install earlier on this box. The SETUP finds the CD as a UEFI boot source so I selected that as the primary boot option and happily restarted the box. Unfortunately, it comes up with a scrambled screen. I see the "ESXI yellow" so it seems to be booting the installer... just in a video mode that's not playing well. Is there some config file in the installer I need to muck with to use the right video mode?