Problem with Supermicro X10SDV-8C-TLN4F and Turbo Boost :(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m4ntic0r

Feb 20, 2017
I have some real annoying problem with my Supermicro X10SDV-8C-TLN4F and an installed Windows Server 2016. I cant get the turbo boost working on energy level "balanced" in OS. I tried a lot.. and nothing works :(

Bios Settings:
EIST (P-States): Enabled
P State Domain: ALL
P-State Coordination: HW_ALL
Energy Efficient P-State: Disabled (enabled=default, but same problems)
Turbo Mode: Enabled

CPU C State: Enable
Package C State Limit: C6(Retention) state
CPU C3 Report: Disable
CPU C6 Report: Enable
Enhanced Halt State (C1E): Enabled

ACPI T-States: Disable

Enable CPU HWPM: Disable
Enable CPU Autonomous Cstate: Enable

Energy Performance Tuning: Disable (enable=default but same problem)
Energy Performance BIAS Setting: Performance
Power/Performance Switch: Enable
Workload Configuration: Balanced

PKG C-State Lat.Neg.: Enable
SAPM Control: Enable
Energy Efficient Turbo: Disable (enabled=default but same problem)

Prime95 1Thread:
prime 1 thread
No Boost (800MHz) and the system feels very slow.

Prime95 16Thread: (wtf is going on? not 100% and only ~1,9GHZ):
prime 16 thread

Bios Settings on Pictures:
17 10 03 12 07 34 4633
17 10 03 12 08 12 4634
17 10 03 12 06 30 4628
17 10 03 12 06 41 4629
17 10 03 12 07 01 4630
17 10 03 12 07 17 4631
17 10 03 12 07 26 4632

If i choose "High Performance" in OS, then there is a Boost up to 2,6Ghz but CPU will stay on 2,0-,2,1 and not clock down to 800. But if i run all 16 Threads in Prime than i see no 100% load and 1,9GHz again.

I dont know what i should do?

Last edited:

FKrebs

Oct 6, 2017
Hello There,

Sorry for my bad English as I’m French (I know, nobody is perfect)

First of all, thanks’ for the information provided here. With your help I built my own server based on Chinese X79/C602 Motherboard together with E5-2660V2, 32GB and LSI-9060-16i. Main use is test labs under Hyper-V (Server 2016) for my customers.

I got problems getting CPU boost under Windows Server 2016 with Balanced Power Scheme.
With Performance Power Scheme, I got good results but the CPU stayed at 2.2GHz, not lowering the multiplier to reach 1.2.

The trick is to Change some value in the balanced scheme.
Before starting I suggest to download HWMonitor from cupid.com : HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
It will help to monitor CPU frequency

Let’s start !

1) Open a CMD with Administrator rights, then go to your desktop CD c:\users\yourname\Desktop
2) Switch to Performance Power Scheme (Control Panel)
3) Type in CMD Powercfg /q > Powerperf.txt
4) Switch to Balanced Power Scheme
5) Type in CMD Powercfg /q > Powerbal.txt

We just have saved Power Scheme Parameters. We want de set some parameters to Balanced Scheme copying them from Performance Scheme. Be careful that we read parameters in hexadecimal while we set them in decimal.
We should run HWMonitor reading CPU Frequencies.

Four Parameters needs to be set:
PERFBOOSTPOL
PERFINCPOL
PERFINCTHRESHOLD
PERFDECTHRESHOLD

So we open Powerperf.txt and we search the parameter’s value.
To set it in the current scheme which should be Balanced we do :

powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor PERFBOOSTPOL 100
Powercfg -setactive scheme_current

Assuming that PERFBOOSTPOL is set to 100 in Performance Scheme (Powerperf.txt).

In my set-up I did :
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor PERFBOOSTPOL 100
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor PERFINCPOL 0
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor PERFINCTHRESHOLD 60
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor PERFDECTHRESHOLD 40
Powercfg -setactive scheme_current

Now have a look in HWMonitor and it should be find;

Hope it work’s for you and sorry for my English.
François

m4ntic0r

Feb 20, 2017
Hello FKrebs,

thanks for your answer.

I figured this out yesterday, too, and searched a lot in windows registry and compared win10 vs. win2016 for the balanced power scheme.

The ""Processor Power management settings and configurations" are located here:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00"

This are the settings for balanced power scheme which are different:
balanced win10 server2016

I found, that if you change the value "Attributes" from 1 to 0, you can see the settings in your energy settings directly.
energy

I compared all ~60 settings and configured them in 2016 as it is default in win10.

jrp

Oct 7, 2017
That procedure is described by Microsoft here: Recommended Balanced Power Plan Parameters for Quick Response Times

Note that it says that "Starting from Intel [Broadwell] processors running Windows Server 2016, most of the processor power management decisions are made in the processor instead of OS level to achieve quicker adaption to the workload changes. The legacy PPM parameters used by OS have minimal impact on the actual frequency decisions, except telling the processor if it should favor power or performance, or capping the minimal and maximum frequencies. Hence, the proposed PPM parameter change is only targeting to the pre-Broadwell systems."

Enabling HWPM-OOB (and C3 reporting and SATA power management and ...) allows my D-1541 to turbo up to 2.7 or even 2.8 GHz on 1 core and, typically, 2.4 on all cores. (I find this lets single cores run faster than HWPM-Native, which Windows 2016 supports, although it may only do so for processors that it knows about.)

Even the optimised BIOS defaults seem to be aimed at an OS that doesn't know much about power management and they don't even unleash the processor's own capabilities.

SuperMicro's BIOS documentation seems wilfully unhelpful at setting out the dependencies between the different settings and separating out the "legacy" ones from the new on-chip ones. (The Fujitsu settings guides are better; I have not got far with the Intel documentation, which hasn't got much between the marketing guff and the mechanically written register-level programming references.)

Reactions: EasyRhino and Marsh