Problem with proxmox latest

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Testing out one of my rigs on the proxmox newest version using Comcast /28 subnet right. So I install proxmox and do all the ip configs in the GUI using Comcast dns and of course the IP as well. Now I have proxmox install and I cant access the outside world. I cant ping 8.8.8.8 or google.com or access via ssh either.

I'm trying to google some answers as well but I cant find any. I ran the commands route -n and looked at the open ports netstat -ntpl as well all the ports look open including :8006 which is the proxmox port.

I'm thinking to myself damn what could the problem be I cant even update debian.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Why not start and make sure the actual configuration files are properly setup/written to?

I've yet to have proxmox networking 'just work' always have to edit a file or two.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Why not start and make sure the actual configuration files are properly setup/written to?

I've yet to have proxmox networking 'just work' always have to edit a file or two.
You mean reinstall the OS and be sure they are correct or actual cd into the directory/files and look at them? if so I have no idea what to look for in the files once I get to em .

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yes, you'll need to SSH in or if you're on web GUI and don't want to SSH then use "console" and go to dir or know the file location and open it that way, etc...

I've yet to install proxmox where I haven't had to do this for networking as well as tweak/configure lots of other stuff... I do this on basic bare metal linux too, you should too if you want it to run as best as possible :) :)

I'll check my "proxmox networking notes" for you, probably noted some quick places/files you can check.

Reactions: ELit3

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Yes, you'll need to SSH in or if you're on web GUI and don't want to SSH then use "console" and go to dir or know the file location and open it that way, etc...

I've yet to install proxmox where I haven't had to do this for networking as well as tweak/configure lots of other stuff... I do this on basic bare metal linux too, you should too if you want it to run as best as possible :) :)

I'll check my "proxmox networking notes" for you, probably noted some quick places/files you can check.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with the Comcast DNS because I can ping the Comcast network internally like the gateway and other IPs but nothing outside of that.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
It's got nothing to do with DNS if you can't even ping by IP address. Either you have something in your config wrong, or Comcast fed you bad info abut the subnet they've allocated to you. Also make sure you've not accidentally set up any firewall rules that might be upsetting things.

FWIW, here's the v5.0 '/etc/network/interfaces' as configured after initial installation (w/two NICs, YMMV). Maybe start over from this point:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address <host ip addr>
    netmask <subnet mask>
    gateway <gateway ip addr>
    bridge_ports eno1
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

iface eno2 inet manual

Reactions: ELit3

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Testing out one of my rigs on the proxmox newest version using Comcast /28 subnet right. So I install proxmox and do all the ip configs in the GUI using Comcast dns and of course the IP as well. Now I have proxmox install and I cant access the outside world. I cant ping 8.8.8.8 or google.com or access via ssh either.

I'm trying to google some answers as well but I cant find any. I ran the commands route -n and looked at the open ports netstat -ntpl as well all the ports look open including :8006 which is the proxmox port.

I'm thinking to myself damn what could the problem be I cant even update debian.
I am a bit confused, aren't you using a router?
if yes why do you use anything but your router info?

I mean, usual setup is ISP->ISP or your Router - > your network via switch or direct to PC/Server nic.

if this is the case than your ISP info is irrelevant,
so if you have "Comcast IP and DNS of 24.24.24.1 / 24.56.56.25" it is largely useless as it will be setup and used by your router. now most home routers use 192.168.x.x internal setting with DHCP.
so your Proxmox network would be
<your server Nic> ==> to the router IP is with in 192.168.x.x/24 domain and your gateway will be your router IP usually 192.168.x.1.
DNS is what ever you want to set, as in Proxmox you can have 3 or 4 DNS the setting would be
DNS1 - your router 192.168.x.1
DNS2 - your ISP DNS
DNS3- google 8.8.8.8

it always worked for me....

Now if you have a working setup on your other servers, just look how it is setup there, including the config files. I have been testing Proxmox 5 and the setup is the same. I am pretty sure you can copy one of the old files and replace the info for your new setup and it should work.