(Problem) H200 Flashing LSI firmware + IT Mode (EFI)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
I have got two Dell H200 HBA cards, one is already in IT mode (according to the screen that passes during boot up) but since i would like to use them both in the same FreeNAS system i need to flash the other one into IT mode as well. And maybe do the other one as well to make sure they use the same firmware version.

This should not be so hard (according to a lot op people ;) ), i have looked at several websites and i think i know what to do. I am running the cards on a Supermicro X9SCM-F (EFI mode). I have removed one card, so there is only one card in the system now.

I have tried a couple of commands, but i keep getting errors.
When i use this command:
sas2flash.efi -listall

I get:
ERROR: Failed to upload image

When i try:
sas2flash.efi -o -e 6 or sasflash2.efi -o -e 7
i get :
Erase Flash Operation Failed

When i try sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin
i get the error:

Chip is in RESET State.
Firmware Host Boot Successful!
Writing Current MfgPage2 Settings to NVRam.
Failed to validate MfgPage2!

I am not sure what to do next, most HowTO's are not really clear about how to flash in EFI mode when the H200 already has got a LSI Firmware (IR).

So what should i do now?

Among others i have check this website:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/8294yw
But these megarec commands do not work in EFI mode.

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
There are a boat load of variables that can cause a failure to flash, but I find that it usually boils down to UEFI and Tool versions. Have a read here and see if this gets you a result :)

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
Thanks for your reply, of course i found that site :) But also the commands mentioned there are not working. As far as i know using the wrong commands will not brick or "murder" the card ;) So i have got so wiggle room. But still i would like to know exactly which command to use instead of just trying them all :)

Since my Dell card has already got LSI firmware, commands like "sas2flash.efi -listall " don't work. But like i said the card is also in RESET state. Which isn't really mentioned anywhere. So i am not sure what to do.

I am not trying to be difficult or lazy, but i have tried al lot of the commands so far.
So you would really really help me if you could tell me what you would do (or somebody else of course) do exactly (down to the comma :p ) at this point. Any help is appricated of course, but more detailed help is appricated times 2 :)

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Prep and Boot with an external EFI shell rather than relying on the Mainboard (Have a look here). You could of course return the cards back to Dell fimware and get them working again before starting over with the cross flashing procedure. You also might want to try flashing P20 firmware with older tools from an earlier package, say P14 or something. The earlier tools allowed you to ignore some errors and flash the firmware anyway, the later ones just report an error and stop you going any further.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
So prep a USB stick with an external EFI shell, by following the website (didn't see that one before, interesting :) ). Then copy the necessary files and retry the commands which are failing now?

Or try to use older tools first on my currently used USB stick? Or flash the card back to Dell FW first?
I haven't done this before so it would be really appreciated if you could tell me what you would do, and how. You are giving me a couple of (most likely valid) options now, but i am not able to pick which solution is beter/best/ok or which one has got a higher succes rate etc.

Again i am not trying to be ungrateful :)

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
So prep a USB stick with an external EFI shell, by following the website (didn't see that one before, interesting :) ). Then copy the necessary files and retry the commands which are failing now?

Or try to use older tools first on my currently used USB stick? Or flash the card back to Dell FW first?
I haven't done this before so it would be really appreciated if you could tell me what you would do, and how. You are giving me a couple of (most likely valid) options now, but i am not able to pick which solution is beter/best/ok or which one has got a higher succes rate etc.

Again i am not trying to be ungrateful :)
What results do you get running this command:
Code:
sas2flash -c 0 -list
This should show information for the H200 installed in the system.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
Shows the card:

Controller number: 0
Controller: SAS2008
SAS Address: Undetermined
PCI adres: 00:02:00:00
Nvdata: undetermined l
Error: failed to upload image
Firmware informatie could not be retrieved
Bios infotmation could not be retrieved

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Okay, I think your earlier command worked and cleared the flash on the board.

I own several of these Dell H200 HBA cards, and I've always flashed them using a bootable DOS USB stick. Your X9-series Supermicro system should be able to boot DOS.

Here is a link on my web server to a zip file named DellH200.zip. It contains the files I use to flash these HBAs. Be sure to scan for viruses, etc., cause this is the internet and I could be bad guy, or a dog typing in his master's basement.

There's a 'readme.txt' included that explains the steps for flashing the drive. These cards are a little fussy and it requires flashing them with an earlier version of sas2flsh to get past the manufacturer ID warning when you switch from the Dell firmware to LSI's. The archive contains 3 subdirectories, one each for version p7 of Dell's LSI firmware and toolset and version p7 and p20 of LSI's. The last will give you version 20.00.07.00 of the IT firmware, which is what you want for FreeNAS. You may also edit the batch files to include the BOOT ROM code if you need to boot from the card, as-is they will not include this.

You will need to examine your card to determine it's SAS ID: the 16-digit hexadecimal number that uniquely identifies the card. This ID is often available on a label attached to the board. If you can't find it, make one up, but use 5782bcb0 as the first 8 digits. Make a note of this ID.

Your procedure is:
  1. Create bootable DOS USB disk (I use rufus to do this)
  2. Extract the DellH200.zip file onto this disk, ending up with a subdirectory named DellH200
  3. Change to the DellH200 subdirectory and edit step2.bat, specifying the SAS ID you found earlier
  4. Boot your system with the thumb drive and run the 'step' batch files in order, rebooting between. There are 4 altogether, named step1.bat, step2.bat, etc.
The usual disclaimers apply, i.e., "Use at your own risk", "no warranty of any kind is made regarding usability or fitness for a particular purpose is made", blah blah blah.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
@Spearfoot, thanks for files and help! I couldn't find an ID so i made one up like you said. Step1 works, but step2 shows an error: FAILED TO initialize PAL.

I use the most recent BIOS version (2.2). I have selected LEGACY only/ UEFI only / UEFi and LEGACY as boot option filter.
do you know how to fix this? or does this means i cannot use your script?

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
@Spearfoot, thanks for files and help! I couldn't find an ID so i made one up like you said. Step1 works, but step2 shows an error: FAILED TO initialize PAL.

I use the most recent BIOS version (2.2). I have selected LEGACY only/ UEFI only / UEFi and LEGACY as boot option filter.
do you know how to fix this? or does this means i cannot use your script?
Crikey! Pretty sure it means you'll have to use the UEFI versions of the tools, which means that, No, you can't use my scripts.

Consider this: flash the cards in an older PC that does boot DOS.

Let me dig through my archives and see if I have the right tools to do this... but I suggest using another PC as the easiest way.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
@Spearfoot I have done that. Step2 is no problem now, step3 asks me:

NVdata Product ID and Vendor ID do not match
Proceed y/n

I assume i have to proceed anyway?

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Ah, ha! Turns out that Broadcom makes all of the different version of the UEFI flash tools available on their website:

So you can download versions P7 and P20 from there.
@Spearfoot I have done that. Step2 is no problem now, step3 asks me:

NVdata Product ID and Vendor ID do not match
Proceed y/n

I assume i have to proceed anyway?
Yes! It should continue without any more fussing.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Yes, just hit YES to continue.

Sorry about the confusing post above, I was composing it when I saw your question.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
Both cards are done now, many thanks Obi-Wan!
The only weird thing is i am not seeing an LSI menu / booting screen during startup. I did that screen before flashing. Is that because of the missing BOOT ROM? Which is not a problem i don't have to boot from these cards.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Both cards are done now, many thanks Obi-Wan!
The only weird thing is i am not seeing an LSI menu / booting screen during startup. I did that screen before flashing. Is that because of the missing BOOT ROM? Which is not a problem i don't have to boot from these cards.
You're very welcome! And you're correct; if you don't flash the boot ROM onto the cards, you won't see their startup screen at bootup.