Probably(?) Dumb Supermicro 1U Chassis questions (Power Supply & Rear Window)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Just researching what to buy next and didn't find answers on Google to these seemingly conflicting bits of info. Asking because I'm cheap, but also because I'm curious. But, mostly because I'm cheap.

1. 1U Chassis with Redundant Power Supplies: Are 50mm (e.g. PWS-703P-1R) and 54mm (e.g. PWS-704P-1R) wide units interchangeable?

I know on the face of it...duh...one is 4mm wider than the other, so no. SM Customer Service also says no (FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.).​
But....between product pages (e.g. SC119TQ-R700UB | 1U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.), and the product manuals, both 50 & 54mm units are listed in various spots. There's a couple sites that say, the 54mm are just replacements for the 50mm that were largely phased out and both fit. I'm curious, because at the Platinum level, the 54mm units cost about a quarter as much as the 50mm ones on Ebay.​

2. Rear Windows: Are UIO and WIO Rear Windows interchangeable for 1U?
I remember seeing on various sites, and a few folks here confirm, that UIO and WIO rear windows were different and not interchangeable, because the spacing & layout differed. As with the question above, Supermicro Customer Service also says no (FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.).​
But if that's true, I wonder why the product pages for both the UIO and WIO versions of the same chassis mentioned above (SC119) both have the same product number (MCP-240-81902-0N) and are called "UIO/WIO rear window..."? So maybe the difference is only in the slots taller than 1U? I ask in this case because the UIO version of the chassis (with a WIO riser purchased separately) is a LOT cheaper than the WIO version chassis with the riser included.​