Power Supplies and (Internal) Power Cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fastmachine

Mar 5, 2014
I am very slowly moving forward with a ZFS box running 5 or 6 drives, but am getting a little confused about how advanced power supplies work.

I was looking at getting something like this:
SeaSonic 550W ATX12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular
It seems to come with 6 SATA power cables, which is fine.

But If I wanted to add a 7th SATA drive is there a type of cable I should buy? Assuming the power supply had enough wattage to support it.

Would I just pick up a cable like this (6-Pin to 5 x SATA). I guess I don't understand if the SeaSonic has a standard or proprietary connector or what.

(I tried looking in the forums and SeaSonic's site, but couldn't find much detail.)

Any help would be great.

-fastmachine

fastmachine

Mar 5, 2014
Thanks.

From another search I found this. It appears that to get the exact OEM SeaSonic cables you have to go through specific suppliers. I will probably just get the Sata Y cable, but incase anyone else is interested.

-fastmachine

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
Thanks.

From another search I found this. It appears that to get the exact OEM SeaSonic cables you have to go through specific suppliers. I will probably just get the Sata Y cable, but incase anyone else is interested.

-fastmachine
I think it is easier to make this cable from available at your disposal other SeaSonic's cables and connectors 15-pin power-sata.
I advise you to contact a specialized company.

Last edited:

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014