Power Meter - Outlet / System Level

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GaryMcD

Feb 10, 2024
Hiya! Curious how ya'll track your power usage per system? I want to figure out how much of our electricity is being used by my home server. Amazon has a huge selection for: "Outlet Power Meter", not sure which one is actually any good.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Amazon has a huge selection for: "Outlet Power Meter", not sure which one is actually any good.
I would go with a model that has the specs available either on amazon or on the manufacturers site.
In germany I would recommend the devices from Brennenstuhl :D

Reactions: GaryMcD

sko

Jun 11, 2021
You could simply use the metrics from your servers BMC/IPMI. Those can also be polled via SNMP to gather historical data e.g. via some monitoring solution (e.g. zabbix).

UPSs also provide such data (except for some very-low-end 'dumb' variants), although they often combine this for all loads or load groups (critical / non-critical).

Reactions: nexox

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
I use Shelly Plug for plug-in monitoring. It is reasonably accurate at low power levels, and integrates nicely with home automation through MQTT. Home Assistant recognizes them right away. HA can also use them as Buetooth gateways for BT integration. Connecting to Shelly Cloud is not required.
If you are not afraid of DIY tinkering, Shelly also has in-wall modules with power metering supporting two devices per module.
You can go all-in with DIY and build a custom PDU with one PZEM-004T per outlet and esp8266 with esphome for connectivity.

Reactions: nexox